Missing Diver Hand Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering what underwater signal people use for a missing diver?

For example, when diving with a group and one diver is missing, how do you signal the other divers to look around? (I'm not suggesting that everyone meander off, but sometimes, in poor vis, the missing diver is just out of sight of the first diver, but not the middle diver, dig?)

Also, it should be more broad than "where is your buddy?" since the missing diver might not be the buddy of the person you are asking, but still in the group.

Maybe on a higher level, it would be some form of group/team or regroup signal.

Why wouldn't you ask his buddy?

My AOW students lost the DM tailing us on a low vis night dive once (he got caught in some trees). When we cleared the trees I counted divers, noticed I was missing one and looked at the back buddy pair and gave "you two, buddy" "look behind" "where's the third diver?"

You could ask any diver in a group by pointing to the lone diver and asking "1 diver, you see his buddy?"
Ber :lilbunny:

I point to a diver, make a "buddy up" signal (two hands coming together, index fingers extended), then make a "huh?" signal (shrug shoulders, arms extended slightly forward with palms up).

Always seems to be understood ... although the response I get is usually a blank stare or a return shrug (they dunno where he went) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My AOW students lost the DM tailing us on a low vis night dive once (he got caught in some trees). When we cleared the trees I counted divers, noticed I was missing one and looked at the back buddy pair and gave "you two, buddy" "look behind" "where's the third diver?"
What signals are you using?

Regroup/come together is as Bob does it. To question where a member is, I'd just use "question" (hooked index finger) then the diver number (we assign team positions before the dive). So, if Bill (diver 2) was missing, I'd just question 2 and look around.

For example, when diving with a group and one diver is missing, how do you signal the other divers to look around? (I'm not suggesting that everyone meander off, but sometimes, in poor vis, the missing diver is just out of sight of the first diver, but not the middle diver, dig?)
I'd point to my eyes (look) with my Index finger and middle finger simultaneously and then make a circle with the same hand in a horizontal plane (arround).

Also, it should be more broad than "where is your buddy?" since the missing diver might not be the buddy of the person you are asking, but still in the group.
I'd bang my fists together (what we use for buddy up) and then present an outstretched palm (makes it a question).

I point to a diver, make a "buddy up" signal (two hands coming together, index fingers extended), then make a "huh?" signal (shrug shoulders, arms extended slightly forward with palms up).

Always seems to be understood ... although the response I get is usually a blank stare or a return shrug (they dunno where he went) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's the way I've seen it done. Your description of the response is priceless - I can picture in my mind my son returning the shrug ... however the eyes often betray a note of surprise.

What signals are you using?

"you two" Point at the divers I'm talking to then give 2 fingers
"buddy" Two fingers coming together
"look" Two fingers pointing at my eyes
"behind" One finger pointing behind them
"where" The two handed "I don't know" signal
"third diver" Three fingers

For this one: "You could ask any diver in a group by pointing to the lone diver and asking "1 diver, you see his buddy?"

Get a diver's attention and point to lone person give "1"
Point at diver you talking to then give "see"
Point at lone diver again then give "buddy"

Don't know how well those signals work in a group that doesn't know each other or didn't train together though.
Ber :lilbunny:

i lead alot of dive classes . my signal

stop . buddy signal . point to eyes with fore and middle finger to my eyes and a circle .

this is one of the hand signals i make sure everyone knows before we dive .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom