Missing Diver Hand Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the OP states what if youre in a single file line along a canyon or such.

Either way before diving, wouldnt everyone have a buddy assigned to them, so when you do point to someone than the 'buddy up' signal with a shrug, the divers would know who they are looking for....

If diving with a large group and diving "as a group", I´d go with the "ok" light signal approach, it´s easy and it helps keep everyone in a "team mindset"...it also works for all diving, I did a few wreck dives with a group of 5(3 that I´d never dived with before) and we managed to get thru engine-rooms and all manner of obstacles while still maintaining contact, just by using our lights...it requires good lights but I´m guessing you have that anyway...

If you want to reduce the "number of ok´s", the leader can just make an "ok" and then keep the light "in the middle" of the "ok" and just have the rest of the group "ok" around it (everyone counts the number of ok´s), and it works while moving because the "bulls eye" of your light moves with the team...or just make each diver responsible for ensuring that he get´s an "ok" from the person behind him and responsible for signalling "attention" if he doesen´t ...

even when I just have one buddy(and we have passive light communication) I like to exchange ok´s every once in a while just to keep "the conversation going"...

How apropos that this thread was reanimated so close to Halloweenie!!

More coincidentally, I've been thinking about learning ASL since I've been in the pool with several divers who communicate through ASL. It would make the briefing more clear and I could give and get feedback much more easily.

I still only prefer three signals underwater- OK, attention, and the thumb, the rest are just gravy. :wink:

buddy signal and shrug shoulders and arms and point to dvier whos buddy is missing or not around

Yup... pretty much my favorite...

Back
Top Bottom