Missing Diver: Boca Grande - Legacy Dive Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I've been watching different news sources through out the day and they have had no new information that I have seen.

Same here.

I saw this when I googled it

Crews resume search for missing diver off southwest Fla

BOCA GRANDE, Fla. (AP) — The search for a missing diver off southwest Forida has resumed.

Authorities were searching Sunday for the 67-year-old man who went missing in the Gasparilla Sound area while on a diving expedition. The man was one of six people on the expedition and apparently surfaced around noon Saturday but then went missing before the charter boat could retrieve him.

Several local and state agencies including the Coast Guard and Charlotte County Sheriff's Office were involved in the search.

The man's identity has not yet been released.

That was printed today

I don't know if authorities have released his name, but he surfaced after his second dive and dropped his weights. His buddy told him to get on the boat while he recovered his weights. When his buddy surfaced, it was discovered he was missing. It was his first ever boat dives, he was a brand new diver. He was lost about 10 miles off Boca Grande. It was the first organized trip of the new dive club in Punta Gorda. A couple of my friends were on the dive, they were still in the water when it was determined Dale was missing. After having dropped his weights and hopefully inflating his BC, I don't know how he could have disappeared.

Hey Walter, thanks for the update. If eyes are needed to assist with searching please post, I'm open to being of assistance after work hours (there are still 3-4 hours of daylight left).

The boat left?

Please don't misquote this. The boat went to assist another diver. He did not get left.

I agree with Dive Junkie. Legacy is a top notch dive operation with lots of experience behind it. I haven't dove it since it was Spair Time with Captain Jeff, but I've only heard good things about Sturms.

Cig, I called Norm about this yesterday, and he hadn't heard a thing either. I'm kinda pissed that this happened in our waters and we weren't even notified.

CHARLOTTE COUNTY: The search for a diver missing off the coast of Charlotte County has been called off. Deputies say the charter dive boat "Spare Time" was about five miles offshore, diving in the Gasparilla Sound area, when one of the six divers on the trip was reported missing shortly before noon Saturday.
The Coast Guard, Charlotte marine patrol, Florida Fish & Wildlife, and Lee County Sheriff's Office dive team all participated in the search.
The Coast Guard does know the identity of the 67-year-old diver, but is not releasing that information yet.
© 2008 by NBC2 NEWS. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistribute

Jeff, it's very possible it was off shore Lee County and not Charlotte County. That area is right on the line. Since it's reported the Lee County Sheriff's Office Dive Team was involved, that would be my guess. OTOH, since it was so close to the line, I would have expected both teams to be involved.

Jeff, it's very possible it was off shore Lee County and not Charlotte County. That area is right on the line. Since it's reported the Lee County Sheriff's Office Dive Team was involved, that would be my guess. OTOH, since it was so close to the line, I would have expected both teams to be involved.

That's what I would have expected too. Apparently, we are leading the missing person investigation while the coast guard handles the search.

We've worked and trained with the LCSO dive team on a couple of occasions, and they're a good team and a bunch of great guys. It's just frustrating to have to watch this from the sidelines.

Sun-Herald.com has an article listing the name of the missing diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom