Trip Report Missile Tower (San Diego, 160 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was down at the Missile Tower about a week ago with @California Diver. Most people know about the site but it was originally a Trident Missile test tower that was purposefully sunk to create an artificial reef.

We had good visibility from about 100' to the bottom at 160-ish. There was a layer of "stuff" between 60' to 100' that made the dive rather dark. There was a lot of life and white metridiums on the site.

Full blog post with the history and more photos is here:

Missile Tower (San Diego, 160 fsw)

My original plan was to build a full photogrammetry model of the missile tower but I couldn't get the photos to align properly.

Regards,

- brett

mt-1.jpg
mt-2.jpg

Lovely visibility. Assume the tower's on its side given the lower silting. What diameter and length is it? (If that's not classified!)

Lovely visibility. Assume the tower's on its side given the lower silting. What diameter and length is it? (If that's not classified!)

It is on its side. The tower itself is rectangular and is about 8m x 8m x 18m.

The "height" is 18m but because it is on its side, that would the X or Y axis in this case.

That cylinder in the picture above which housed the missile is about 3m diameter.

- brett

Do you have a Lat/Lon for the tower?

Thanks for posting.
m

Looks like one of those "must be totally under control" dives, slow and careful to not destroy the vis nor touch the sides.

Nice. Lovely flora and fauna.

Back
Top Bottom