Missile Silo weekend !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our shop has the Missile Silo in Abilene Tx. reserved for the weekend of Feb 22&23. Come on down! We will charge $75 for the weekend, which includes up to 4 airfills each day and park admission. There is primitive camping (no facilities) on site and inside the silo too. There are motels available in Abilene just a few Texas miles away. We plan on picnicing for meals. There will be been there done that T-shirts available too. The silo is a great place to get some deep dives in. And the history of the place is great. Check out Mark's website: www.familyscuba.com If you need more info or want to go reply to this and i'll get back to you.
Thanks, Let's go diving!

I've wanted to dive the Missile Silo ever since I heard about it, but I would like to know some info on the dive conditions. What depth is the max depth and what is the water temp ? Any other info on the site would be welcome.

Thanks !

The water at the silo is 58 or so degrees. depth is supposed to be 130 but there is let over scrap iron on the ottom and I only hit 113ft on my last trip. There is no sunlight so nothing grows and the vis is pretty good until divers stir things up. There are stairs from the surface down to the living quarters/ control level. then a hallway with some serious doors leading to the stairs to the water. there is a floating dock just inches above the water. There are several lights in the silo so the dive area is illuminated but you will need a dive light. Check out the website there are photos. I hope Mark can make it, he knows all the history of the place. Y'all come on down!
Joe
not sure if it is cool to post an email addy here or not, some one tell me. Thanks

An article was posted about the missle silo in Dive Training magazine a few months back. If I can find it, I will post the info.

Deep Stock Tank dive?

From lots of other comments on this board, I'm very surprised none of the native Texans are asking this question.

:D Dave

bottom_sucker once bubbled...
Deep Stock Tank dive?

From lots of other comments on this board, I'm very surprised none of the native Texans are asking this question.

:D Dave
around here we dont have a lot of dive options the vis in the local mudholes is not that great . the missile silo is the neatest dive within 6 hours maybe within 12.
joens

Cave Diver once bubbled...
An article was posted about the missle silo in Dive Training magazine a few months back. If I can find it, I will post the info.

I was in one of the pictures in that article (well you can't really tell it is me unless you were there...). The article was written by David Prichard here in Dallas.

It's one of those "been there, done that" kind of dives.

It's cold water, limited visibility, entanglement hazards, deep dive, altitude dive - i.e. not for a beginner...

Here's a trip report .

/Mike
Diverguy.com

I sorta grew up there,but never can get to dive it when I visit my family that still lives there.Every time I've been in town they didn't have enough to people to put together a trip.One night take a trip into town to eat at Joe Allens BBQ,it's very good and easy on the wallet.

Sounds like a fun time. It would definately be a dive to tell people about. I just wish it was a bit closer to home.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom