Misaligned Tooth in Dry Suit Zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bighiller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Bare NexGen dry suit and one of the teeth on the zipper has become misaligned. I can zip it up, usually, but taking it off is a HUGE pain in the butt. It doesn't leak, yet, but it's a pain to get open again.

Now, I'm not looking to replace the zipper yet, just get a temporary solution to be able to open and close it.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Can you post a close-up pic of the misaligned tooth, both inside and outside?

Is it just the outer tooth that appears to be out of position? Does the zipper tape seem damaged or stretched under that tooth?

If it's just the former, I think there's hope for a repair; the latter, not likely.

I just did a little experimenting with an old drysuit zippper. Try to visualize the following:

The small inner tooth is T-shaped, but with a small base added to the bottom of the T, like an "I" would have. The small base is what is showing on the inside of the zipper tape.

The outer tooth is C-shaped, but with little inward hooks on the ends of the C.

The zipper tape is wrapped around the big end of the T and the C is pinched around the fabric, pinning it down firmly between the top and bottom of those "flanges" on the T.

Your zipper tooth probably hung up when the zipper slide was being pulled to one side or the other, perhaps because the fabric buckled when the zipper wasn't anchored well enough. The outer tooth was pulled along the folded zipper tape until it was out of position.

The inner tooth may still be in the original position. Is it?

It might be worth a try to slide the outer tooth back into position, but very carefully.

A needle nosed plier with an end about the width of the outer tooth will give you good purchase on the tooth.

After lubing the tooth and tape with spit and using such a tool, I was able to slide the outer tooth to a new position. It helped to rock the rounded end of the outer tooth side to side in the same direction as the zipper itself, letting it "walk" its way along the zipper tape. Hopefully, the inner tooth will stay put while you do this. Rocking should help.

Tightening the outer tooth is tricky because it's very easy to pinch the "C" too much, distorting its shape. If you have a small vise and a way to put the pressure of the vise just on the ends of the "C", you'll probably do alright. It won't take much tightening at all.

If it were me, I'd probably just try to slide the outer tooth into position and skip the tightening, even if slightly loose. Then, just be very careful of that section when lubing and zipping. :shocked2:

If you want pics of a typical tooth, let me know.

Dave C

dave4868 gives a lot of great advice. Lube. Lube. Lube. And carefully operate the zipper.

If you plan to continue to dive the suit with a questionable zipper, then you should probably make sure that you have a patient buddy around with some needle-nose pliers and a pointy-end dive knife. Those two tools should make it easier to get out of the suit with a stuck zipper...in case you have to use the bathroom or something.

I had a local dive buddy with a Bare Nex-Gen who had a misaligned zipper tooth like you describe. It was the beginning of the end of that zipper. Oh, he was able to get several more dives out of it...but it took a great deal of patience getting him out of the suit on a few occasions.

The Bare Nex-Gen has a straight drysuit zipper at the shoulders. It should be a relatively simple DIY fix. If you do this, please consider taking pictures along the way and sharing your experience with the rest of us. :D

I have a Bare NexGen dry suit and one of the teeth on the zipper has become misaligned. I can zip it up, usually, but taking it off is a HUGE pain in the butt. It doesn't leak, yet, but it's a pain to get open again.

Now, I'm not looking to replace the zipper yet, just get a temporary solution to be able to open and close it.

Any ideas?

Call Kristen at wetwear 954-458-0400, she is in Florida:D They will get the tooth fixed, send it to her. Best of luck , Keith

Call Kristen at wetwear 954-458-0400, she is in Florida:D They will get the tooth fixed, send it to her. Best of luck , Keith
Considering the OP's location (Vancouver), another option would be to have the nearby Bare factory assess the damage and repair it. Might be slightly more expensive, though.

So, the zipper is pooched.

Went on a dive Saturday and 30min into it, the flooding started. Filled the whole suit up by the time I got back to shore. Damn.... thank god for good undergarments.

Now the question is, where can I get a replacement zipper?

Paid $400CAD for the drysuit used, so it's not really worth it to pay much money to have it "fixed". Might be better to just buy a new one...

Might not be pooched. I've seen a misaligned tooth fixed as described above and the suit stopped leaking and worked fine. Maybe not, but at this point it seems like it's worth a try...

I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it. If anyone has an article about fixing a busted zipper tooth, please post away.

Basically the material that the tooth is crimped on to has broken. It seems to stay sealed until I make a specific movement(?) and then it leaks all to hell.

This worked very well for a friend at one of our last outings.....

19631_102860513074592_100000519301250_77170_1216263_n.jpg

A stiff pen and some good o'l duct tape.....

Ha! Nice!

Is there anything duct tape CAN'T do?!

Funny, that's the same area my tooth is screwed up at.

Did this hold underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom