Misaligned Tooth in Dry Suit Zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Give Mark Owens a call at Superior Diving Repair.

I can't post urls yet but just google them. The site is www.drysuitrepair.com

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

link added

218-825-7009

I have a drysuit I bought on ebay for $250. Mark put new wrist seals on, reglued and sewed the boots back on, and reglued the neck seal. With leak testing, shipping, and an extra $50 for rush service I think the total was around $350. I think he may even sew the zippers on after glueing also, not sure. It doesn't cost anything to ask, might be worth it.

Make sure to specify if you want the whole suit leak tested, it costs extra but it's worth it. They are not shy about telling you if it's not worth fixing either.

Good luck!

That's bull.

There is no liability issue in offering advise, so long as there is a disclaimer with it.

"PB-300 might work for you in this case, but Bare can't guarantee anything." That's all they need to say.

They might be liable if they did the work and it failed, but to offer advice? I don't think so. If that was the case why would ANYONE offer ANY advice if they could be sued?

Remember, I live in Canada and we're not a litigious society.

But anyway, I will have to go down this path of DIM (do it myself).

/screw Bare.

That's bull.

There is no liability issue in offering advise, so long as there is a disclaimer with it.

"PB-300 might work for you in this case, but Bare can't guarantee anything." That's all they need to say.

They might be liable if they did the work and it failed, but to offer advice? I don't think so. If that was the case why would ANYONE offer ANY advice if they could be sued?

Remember, I live in Canada and we're not a litigious society.

But anyway, I will have to go down this path of DIM (do it myself).

/screw Bare.

Well.... I understand that you're irritated but I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

They were quite clear with your about how the zipper needed to be installed, namely using Heat Tape.

Bare doesn't glue them in like you want to and probably for good reason. You're off in (for them) uncharted territory and it makes perfect sense to me that they don't want to navigate for you out there.

R..

G
I have a drysuit I bought on ebay for $250. Mark put new wrist seals on, reglued and sewed the boots back on, and reglued the neck seal. With leak testing, shipping, and an extra $50 for rush service I think the total was around $350. I think he may even sew the zippers on after glueing also, not sure. It doesn't cost anything to ask, might be worth it.

Make sure to specify if you want the whole suit leak tested, it costs extra but it's worth it. They are not shy about telling you if it's not worth fixing either.

Good luck!

any/every drysuit repair place is going to run into the same problems with THIS PARTICULAR SUIT owing to the type of material used. The Nex Gen suit an odd duck since it is not neoprene, but rather a glorified plastic. that resulted in a wonderfully long lived and durable suit. , but nobody can really work on it without an RF (radio frequency) welder. The seams and joints are made by essentially focusing a microwave oven's energy to a point where the materials then melt and fuse together... No stiching allowed.

Also, the OP is located within 20 miles of the manufacturer so shipping a suit out of Canada, to the States, and back for repairs may become costlier than dropping it off personally

good resource link otherwise :D

Have you done anything with your suot yet? Just wondering how you made out.

Ok.

I finally finished it!

SUCCESS!

So the zipper was $150 (I'll post pics and links later).
PB-300 glue was $25 (S&H incl)

It was a pain and I would suggest just sneding it in.

turns out this was the second time this zipper was replaced.

Anyway, I will post a detailed "How I did it" later on.

Put a c between the g and h.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom