Minimalist divers..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would a standardized setup be absurd? I have watched divers get flustered when I ask for their PSI and they are fumbling between the console, the dive light or other multiple attatchments. I have seen them get flustered trying to grab their inflator hose but can't get to it amongst other items attached to that side of the BC. The whole idea is when I reach for an item, it's automatic, I know where it is, and can actually complete the task immediately. Sometimes you have time to mess with your gear, sometimes not. Keeping things simple and comfortable for the diver to use easily, to me, makes perfect sense. Task loading, especially during rough currents, poor visibility, etc can be easier when you don't have to add gear confusion to the mix.

Carolyn:shark2:
Maybe "standardized setup" was the wrong word. What is standard for me might not be standard for someone else.
The point I was trying to make: For example, sometimes I see divers getting in the water on a simple shore dive where they will be going no deeper that 40 - 50 feet, and they have the doubles, the can light, 7 foot long hose, drysuit, deco bottles, spools, bags, etc.
I ask them what they need all that gear for when doing a simple shore dive and the reply is that they dive with that stuff all the time so that they get used to it and using all the gear becomes automatic. They call it their "standardized gear configuration" and not one piece can be missing or else it does not conform to the proper configuration. This is what I meant when I was refering to that term, sorry for any confusion.

Personally, if I had no choice but to drag all that crap across the beach every time I wanted to get in the water I would probably give up scuba diving or just go back to freediving. I'm glad they don't make the rules and this is a free country.

And as far as keeping track of dangly item and not being able to decipher one from the other and reaching for the wrong thing, I have a solution, get rid of it!
My spg doesn't even have a clip on it, I just tuck it under my waist strap and I just reach down and it's there every time. My little light (if I need it on that particular dive) is clipped off on my shoulder strap and held tight against my body with another bungee loop on the lower end of the shoulder strap. I don't have any extra loose junk dangling around on my set up. I use a compass only if I need it. Sometimes I don't even bring the bottom timer if I don't need it. Many times on shore dives I use no BC so I don't need to worry about the LP inflator because it's not there.

One thing about the North Coast with it's rough rocky shore, big waves, and feather boa kelp and bull kelp, you learn real fast to put stuff away tight or it'll get all tangled up. That's why long hoses and can lights don't work well up here.

There is minimalist then there is minimalist.
Personally I think it is one of those things where moderation is a good idea. I like the idea of only taking along what you need on a dive, but I think it pays to always dive the same basic configuration that you can then add to when the conditions dictate (Hog philosophy, but we aren't suposed to talk about that.)

Come on folks. No brain work here. Just the gear you use for minimalist diving. I know that some of you can't help yourselves but try.

I'm talking about the extended discussions about theory.

bp/w
an SMB and spool
can light and two backups (mainly cus I leave them on the harness all the time. also in case the boat leaves me)
probably wet notes

LiteHedded,

No tank and regulator.....damn you're good. :)

Couv, forgive a potentially dumb question, can breathing from the bottle be done?
If one can breath from a free flowing reg, aside from the pressure, what's the difference?
(Safety aside for the moment).

Couv, forgive a potentially dumb question, can breathing from the bottle be done?
If one can breath from a free flowing reg, aside from the pressure, what's the difference?
(Safety aside for the moment).

Hello Dan,

You did say safety aside :wink:

Yes, breathing from a tank valve is actually quite easy. If there is a trick involved, it would be to have a valve that opens slowly. I learned it from my very first instructor (yes PADI) in the early seventies. It was not a required skill, but was demonstrated how to do it. To practice, first over weight yourself in the shallow end of a pool and just slowly crack the valve open. After a little practice, you'll be swimming around taking "hits" as you need them.

This is more of a confidence builder than anything else, but this skill did come in handy when I went to commercial diving school. We had a "gear appreciation day" during the scuba portion. The instructors had us throw all of out gear to the bottom of the practice pool, put it on and they removed the gear from us piece by piece. Students were eliminated from the session if they came to the surface for a breath. I was able to stay on the bottom by stuffing weights into my wetsuit jacket and breathing off the valve.

Not long ago I saw a movie, ("Into the Blue" I think) where the hero makes it look easy. Here is a link to a video, fast forward past Jessica Alba (if you can) to about three and a half min into the clip.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=256yTHzcUwE&feature=related

couv

I dive my 13cf pony in hand with regs, mask and fins. In swim trunks to 30 ft. some times I need to pick up a rock for weight in the other hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom