Minimalist divers..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This might be a silly question but if you where to dive without a BC or Wing what could you use to hold the tank a back plate? or like an older plastic harness with steel bands? Any pics of setups?

A Navy Harness or a Voit Snug Pack/plastic plate with harness or a Freedom Plate or a standard tech plate with an STA, lot's of options:

DSCF0221.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

9566F7384DC5463C84E59492B32705D2.jpg

For Fdog, the girl has you beat:

80364995_o.jpg

N

The least i've used:- Finz, bootz, mask, plastic BP (off an AP Valves bcd) with half a 50mm shipping strap as webbing and camb belt, shorts, t shirt, 80' ally, computer and a smile.
No lead.
Did 100' off the wall off western New Providence and felt amazingly liberated. Suprised me how i was able to totally control buoyancy over the depth with just lung capacity. But did have to keep to low half breaths for the safety stop.

Felt like riding my Sport Bike with just the helmet and no padded clothing (less windy o'corse).
A one off for me i think.

Umm, Fdog do I see a snorkel there?

Ooof!

Actually it's the inflator hose for the DSS Super Scooter 12 wing.

SuperScooterWing.jpg

I didn't have the inflator hose tied down well, and it got loose and floated. I know this looked somewhat silly, because Janet pointed and laughed!

Nemrod, you are absolutely correct, how can anyone compete with that suit? :D

All the best, James

cool pictures. I sometimes feel like we wear too much stuff and I would like to look at try this. I have a friend with one of the plastic tank holders/harness. Hmmmm going to have to try this.

New_Image2.JPG

When I was younger (skinnier) and used a steel 72, I could eliminate the weight belt. A J valve could also replace the need for a SPG. So, mask, fins, tank, backpack, regulator with one second stage, knife.

couv

Backpack, cylinder, 1st and 2nd stage, fins, mask, rashguard or t-shirt, weight as needed and knife. (SPG)

I have well over 100 dives configured this way using 72cf LP steel tanks. Most in the 55 to 25 ft depth range. Some of my friends don't even own BC's.

New_Image2.JPG

When I was younger (skinnier) and used a steel 72, I could eliminate the weight belt. A J valve could also replace the need for a SPG. So, mask, fins, tank, backpack, regulator with one second stage, knife.

couv

Mr. Couv, where was that picture taken? I am with you on the "skinny" part, one day I weighed like a 160 and now, well, more. What the hades!

Fdog, I was just teasing you but I swear (which I try not to) that if somebody walked up to me with a brand new scooter like the Farallon girl has and said you want this thing and you walked up to me and said, hey, I am tired of this thing, you want it, sorry, I would have to go with the orange one, :wink:. But your scooter comes in second.

N

You have probably noticed a lot of minimalist divers posting here dive vintage configurations. When I started diving, everything I wore fit in a comparatively small gym bag and took up a lot less space than the average equipment used today.

When going somewhere warm, tropical and non technical (and when not going vintage) I will wear a small wing on an aluminum plate with a reg using an integtrated inflator/octo and an air integrated computer that is not much larger or heavier than an SPG.

If it is offshore in a area with current, I'll bungee a lift bag to the base of the plate.

The end result is light, take sup little space and is very clean in the water but still offers all the comforts of modern diving.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 89
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom