Trip Report Mini Trip Report: Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First, this is a mini trip report from my 30th Anniversary trip to Tortola, British Virgin Islands. I only dove one day.

First, the good – sort of. You can fly LAX to Tortola through Miami on American Airlines. The reason I say this is good-sort of, is on the return flight through Miami was one of my worst travel experiences. Getting through CPM with Global Entry was a breeze, trekking all the way to last baggage carousel, then back to the mid-point only to be put into a choke-point for other passengers trying to make connections to clear their luggage for the connecting flight was the thing of nightmares. The agents (TSA) were non-helpful and if you were a non-US citizen, your queue was empty and you could breeze through. My suggestion if you are going to do this trip, fly LAX to Atlanta (ATL) overnight, then ATL to St. Thomas (STT). You have a couple of options from STT, take a puddle jumper into Tortola (EIS) or my preference, when I did this trip in 2011, take a Water Taxi from Red Hook into Sopers Hole on Tortola, especially if you are staying on the West End of the island. On your return, you can clear customs in STT and have your luggage cleared all the way through to LAX. It’s more transfers but the control over where you clear customs returning to the states is less nerve wracking.

Rant over.

The Best!

I have been diving for over 50 years in many parts of the Caribbean and Blue Water Divers located at Nanny Cay on Tortola, British Virgin Islands, offers a fantastic diving experience. This is the second time I have dove with this operation, the first back in 2011. Their service has not lost a beat from the first time. I was the only non-course diver on the boat, so my buddy for the first dive in Wreck Alley was Jessi, the second dive on a shallow reef off Cooper Island was Linda and Ryan.

Dive 1: Wreck Alley
Max Depth: 88ft
Water Temp: 82F
Air Temp: 85F
Visibility: 60ft
Current: Slight
Waves: 2-3 feet
Dive Time: 38 minutes
Safety Stop: 10ft/4 minutes
Remarks: Marie L is a cargo boat that was sunk – along with the Pat and the Beata, located on the south-western side of Cooper Island. Observed garden eels and a huge stingray lounging in the sand on the bottom.

Dive 2: Cooper Island Reef
Max Depth: 30ft
Water Temp: 84F
Air Temp: 87F
Visibility: 60ft
Current: Slight
Waves: 2-3 feet
Dive Time: 44 minutes
Safety Stop: 10ft/3 minutes
Remarks: Sharks, Turtles, Striped Shrimp, Moray Eel

BWD has knowledgeable staff from everyone in the shop that prioritized safety while providing personalized service (this trip was truly personalized), ensuring that every dive is memorable. Wreck Alley was AWESOME! The coral was vibrant and the marine life (turtle, moray eel, and assortment of fish) showcased stunning marine biodiversity of the region. The boat was comfortable and fast. Whether you're seeking adventure or tranquility beneath the waves, Blue Water Divers delivers an exceptional underwater adventure in the beautiful waters of the British Virgin Islands. I will dive with them again.

Back
Top Bottom