Mini Pony Bottle Pressure Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the purge button got bumped or for some other reason the second stage allowed some or all of that charge to bleed off would you know by glancing at your button spg?
Hmmmm.... Actually, I hadn't thought of that. So for those of you who dive with pony or stage bottles (I haven't yet), you carry them charged, with the valve off, and check periodically during the dive to be certain the pressure is holding? I assume this is to prevent water intrusion into your first and second stages? Is loosing charge a frequent issue?

I was thinking they could be useful on a bailout bottle (or argon in the future) to confirm air and charge prior to entering the water. In the water, well, a bailout bottle only has enough air for an immediate direct ascent to a safety stop... I wonder if the exact pressure beyond what you can estimate from experience and/or the little SPG really makes any difference in that situation???

Still, why not use a regular SPG on a 6" hose??? I guess the only answer left is that it looks cleaner. Functional vs. looks good... hmmmm... maybe what I really need to do is start looking for a 6" hose :) .

DjHall
I carry mine on at all times. when the praverbial poop hits the fan I'm ready........... My reg on the pony is the same as my primary, I have a larger SPG on a 6" hose tied off for visual purposes. I secure the 40" line and reg to the tank via surgical tubing, surrounding the top and bottom of the tank. The valve knob is faceing my left hand and is of rubber composition as opposed to plastic so I can grip it better with dry gloves. The 1st stage of the reg. faces up towards me so it dosen't get hit as easily. The hoses fase down the body of the tank so as not to be caught on anything or dammaged. I also carry a short inflator hose on the 1st stage. It wasn't recieved well on the other thread but it's there out of the way and I, or who ever uses it has the option. Food for thought!

Hmmmm.... Actually, I hadn't thought of that. So for those of you who dive with pony or stage bottles (I haven't yet), you carry them charged, with the valve off, and check periodically during the dive to be certain the pressure is holding? I assume this is to prevent water intrusion into your first and second stages? Is loosing charge a frequent issue?

Yes. Yes. Haven't noticed it to me a major issue.

I was thinking they could be useful on a bailout bottle (or argon in the future) to confirm air and charge prior to entering the water. In the water, well, a bailout bottle only has enough air for an immediate direct ascent to a safety stop... I wonder if the exact pressure beyond what you can estimate from experience and/or the little SPG really makes any difference in that situation???

If you think about it, the role of an SPG is to allow you to know when to turn a dive, if that time comes before the planned turn around point. So on a bailout bottle or deco bottle as you are already ascending, you do not really need to know the pressure.

Still, why not use a regular SPG on a 6" hose??? I guess the only answer left is that it looks cleaner. Functional vs. looks good... hmmmm... maybe what I really need to do is start looking for a 6" hose :) .

Not looks, is. However, either way can be clean so it doesn't really matter. Mini-spgs are cheaper and have one less hose, one less o-ring. The old adage "only take what you need" plays a part.

Do what ever you feel is appropriate.

I sometimes use a peanut gauge on a deco pony bottle. I plan my gas assuming a complete failure of the deco bottle anyway - so if it works, fine, if it doesn't, fine. I keep it charged but shut off during the dive, so all I'm really concerned with is if it's "in the green" until time to turn it on and use it. A big fancy SPG on a deco bottle is nice to have, but not necessary.
Rick

I"ve used several of them for years on hundreds and hundreds of dives, (even on 100% pure oxygen), with absolutely no problems. Harder to read - yes, but FAR less to go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom