mini breather...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i just saw a mini breather (www.mini-breather.com) and the wife thinks it's an excellent thingee... (she doesn't want to really go hard core scuba... and there's great stuff here <30') she's finishing her OW soon though

anyone know how much this thing costs? is it worth the purchase?

thanks!

Jag

shugar:
i just saw a mini breather (www.mini-breather.com) and the wife thinks it's an excellent thingee... (she doesn't want to really go hard core scuba... and there's great stuff here <30') she's finishing her OW soon though

anyone know how much this thing costs? is it worth the purchase?

thanks!

Jag

Interesting only in the fact that it's nothing new. Creating a nylon cover and integrating and rebadging generic manf. scuba gear has been tried several times before. Unfortunately, bypassing physics and the mechanics of OC gear cannot be overcome at present until some perfects the cryogenic system!!!!!! :wink: Hah. Personally, the smallish scuba tank makes for short bottom times and not a lot of bailout capability. Anyone wanting to make it easier should perfect their snorkleing skills. X

p.s. historically there have been many iterations of the same idea. Some that come to mind are the:

At-Pac, US Divers 3 bottled - shroud enveloped Cousteau diver clone, the HUB system etc. A fabric covered backpack fitted with a 45 al. + hardware + 15 lbs of lead will still come out heavier than 50 lbs. and would realistically give a diver only enough time to sample minor amounts of fun before coming up with ample reserve.
Far better to invest in a modular system which allows the user to exhange bottles wherever they go.

As said it's just scuba with a wrapper, and a small cylinder. I agree with the safety concerns in terms of air reserve and sevicability may alo be an issue.

She may be a bit aprehensive about the scale of her gear. Especially if she is a small woman a standard issue AL80 and all that goes with it can be a bit overwhelming at first. That can be compounded by a shop issue BC that fits like a bag of worms.

Rather than go towards something specialized that will be hard to travel with I suggest you work with her to make the gear underwhelming. Being female she can probably get by on a smaller cylinder than yourself. Consider setting her up with high pressure steel cylinders, specially for diving from home base.. This post illustrates how you can get 12 pounds off her feet.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16

Perhaps consider setting her up with soft weights. Make sure she has a wetsuit that fits correctly so it will not be a chore to get into but will protect her and keep her warm.

Remember that this is an adpatation and the right gear for the diver can make all of the difference in the world. It may be good to go a few rounds in rental gear to she can get a perspective of what she really likes and dislikes. If possible rent models that you would consider buying, that is the ideal scenario. Help her becomne gear savvy and respect her decisions.

On your first dives together make them comfortable dives that will not add to her stress. Just let her dive no skills, no task loading, no comotion. Just get her get to peacefull underwater bliss and I think she will begin to be comfortable with it all. Keep in mind that in her training a lot of the work is fumbling with all of this new gear in preparation for a calamity of some sort.. I'm getting aprehensive just writing this! :)

Pete

Not another one? Anyone starting a pool for the companies failure date?

Gary D.

I saw the mini-b marketed by Deep Outdoors this past week and it was a cute little setup. I can see where somebody would want a small setup as such for easy shallow diving.

I did not personally dive it - but a friend used it shallow and it did fine.

I don't see why this would be difficult to travel with. It has the same componants as a normal scuba unit - just a smaller bottle and it is basically in a backpack.

The tank is the problem along with security not knowing what it was.

Gary D.

So you take a trip and somehow you get the tank system there through security and onto the boat. Time for the second dive---hey---look---no second tank--now what. It looks stupid, doomed to failure--doomed I say, doomd. N

Its just an oxygen rebreather
nothin' new there
thats 100 year old technology

If you want an O2 rebreather i suggest something a little less cheesey
http://www.omg-italy.it/inglese/c96pro.htm
chest worn O2 rebretaher, very durable, very good quality, probably weighs less

EDIT: neeeevermind
it's not even a rebreather, lol

I wouldn't waste your money.

As far as the pool, I'll set the over under at 6 mos.

Mr.X:
Interesting only in the fact that it's nothing new. Creating a nylon cover and integrating and rebadging generic manf. scuba gear has been tried several times before. Unfortunately, bypassing physics and the mechanics of OC gear cannot be overcome at present until some perfects the cryogenic system!!!!!! :wink: Hah. Personally, the smallish scuba tank makes for short bottom times and not a lot of bailout capability. Anyone wanting to make it easier should perfect their snorkleing skills. X

p.s. historically there have been many iterations of the same idea. Some that come to mind are the:

At-Pac, US Divers 3 bottled - shroud enveloped Cousteau diver clone, the HUB system etc. A fabric covered backpack fitted with a 45 al. + hardware + 15 lbs of lead will still come out heavier than 50 lbs. and would realistically give a diver only enough time to sample minor amounts of fun before coming up with ample reserve.
Far better to invest in a modular system which allows the user to exhange bottles wherever they go.

Comparing the At-Pac and US Divers to the MiniB is not a good comparison. Both of those were full sized gear. MiniB is not. It strikes me as a SASSY that allows you to sink below the surface :)

As for the HUB ...

Back
Top Bottom