Mindanao December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi chip 104, FYI, I and other people have proposed at least 2 other sites. That was even before they declared Tampuan as the proposed site. We are just not pissing in the wind. We are not saying put it in someone elses back yard so we can have are nice reef. By the way Paul has been told in person what we think. The power people are carving up Mindanao for themselves and this is just one little piece of the bull.

As you have not explained fully the extent of the situation and what you have done to help your cause, forum readers can only take your word under advisement that you're "just not pissing in the wind".

Go ahead and post all the drivel you want. But once it resorts into prodding people online who are not aligned with your view points, I have no problems calling out the scum tactics.

What`s the relevancy of ones location to the question at hand? The effects of this power plant are not limited to this particular area, carbon emission is a global problem. I don`t think anybody wants to deprive the people of Mindanao, and other parts of the PI, of their right to electricity>work places>development etc. the question is more about the choice of energy source and location. In this day and age other sources are available which have far less devastating effects on local and global environment and are available in the PI, such as the sun, wind and wave. Why opt for coal which is polluting and has harmful effects (not only when burnt, but when mined, transported as well as in by products: dust in air and dumping of at sea)?
If the building of the power plant is indeed a need and is done for the benefit of the people, then the way to go about it is to look for the best solution for the long run, not for the quick fix. In the long run those poor people will suffer from more lung disease such as asthma, bronchitis and cancer due to emission of particals and gases, despite filtration and what not that is said to bring it down to EU standards. Will they be rich enough to afford medical treatment? I doubt that. One thing for sure, nobody will be able to pull the plug on the plant should the level of pollution be higher then allowed, at most there will be a slap on the wrist and perhaps a fine which the power plant will have no difficulty in paying, the population however will continue to pay with their health. Coral reefs are a resource that can generate income-take a look at the Maldives and see how they turn their reefs into $. True this takes time and it requires peace and stability but it will ensure more income for more people in the long run, and peace and stability are desirable regardless.
Further more, the PI being an island nation has a vested interest in cutting down emissions if it wishes to survive beyond today and tomorrow. Read this:Major cities at risk from rising sea level threat - Times Online even if you take it with a grain of salt it still is a very dark cloud.

I hope people and reefs are spared.

Good point. Thanks for the nice post and the interesting article. It might be more sensible to take this up at the international level, who create these standards that the rest follow. Once it is addressed and regulated at the highest levels, can it be passed down to the local organizations and companies. Stricter regulations will be a big motivator to stimulate innovation in research, get companies to create new and adapt old technology, and move local municipalities towards cleaner alternatives.

Yeah, some very good food for thought... The unfortunate thing is that all the cleaner ways of producing energy, are also much more expensive...:popcorn: Even if in the long run, they would be better ($$ wise as well as health wise)...

Over here, we had a long history in using coal for generating electricity. It only died down once other "cleaner" technologies became cheap enough to compete with it. And that took a long long time...:popcorn:

Good point. Thanks for the nice post and the interesting article. It might be more sensible to take this up at the international level, who create these standards that the rest follow. Once it is addressed and regulated at the highest levels, can it be passed down to the local organizations and companies. Stricter regulations will be a big motivator to stimulate innovation in research, get companies to create new and adapt old technology, and move local municipalities towards cleaner alternatives.

Yeah, some very good food for thought... The unfortunate thing is that all the cleaner ways of producing energy, are also much more expensive...:popcorn: Even if in the long run, they would be better ($$ wise as well as health wise)...

Over here, we had a long history in using coal for generating electricity. It only died down once other "cleaner" technologies became cheap enough to compete with it. And that took a long long time...:popcorn:

true, but there's no use having $$$ when you're 6 feet underwater! :D It definitely is a cycle - the older coal plants in our area have been decommissioned since they were below standard and they're in the process of creating a bunch of new coal power plants with updated technology to fill the void (all within standards). The older plants were in use since the 60s, so it was quite a while before the change occurred. I'm a big fan of nuclear energy, but doubt the NIMBYs comprehend the benefits vs. risks. :)

Good job U/W diva, a lot of people do not think about the whole picture. Thats where the saying, "Think Globally and Act Locally" means a lot to me.

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the following regarding Scuba Board, that is the number of logged dives someone has and the number of posts they have on Scuba Board. It would be interesting to see if there was any relationship between percentage of dives compared to posts. Maybe the lower the percentage is the farther their head is up theirs.

Wow, you really are one of WWDs close friends! I have no further doubt about that...

Oh and just so you know, I'm not a World Renown scientist or diver so my oppinion is worth nothing...

Hey Chip, can you add a reference to this post in #41 of this thread? It fits right in...

It would be interesting to see if there was any relationship between percentage of dives compared to posts. Maybe the lower the percentage is the farther their head is up theirs.

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the following regarding Scuba Board, that is the number of logged dives someone has and the number of posts they have on Scuba Board. It would be interesting to see if there was any relationship between percentage of dives compared to posts. Maybe the lower the percentage is the farther their head is up theirs.
haha, the old "I HAVE MOAR DIVES THAN UUUU, IM OBVIOUSLY SMARTAR!" argument. Welcome to the internet! It's a new platform for social media that some people are able to adapt to it, and unfortunately, others do not. I'll help you with it.

Your hypothesis is problematic as it has the assumption that the # dives and # posts are correlated to intelligence (aka less intelligence = "farther their head is up theirs"). As proven by your posting, there is no cause and effect. You also have to considered:
* the # of years a person has been diving
* the # of years a person has been posting on a forum and whether the topic is dive-related or not.

These two things are obvious, but I'm not surprised you failed to think of them in your pathetic attempt to attack me and Codman.

In the end, what you are trying to do is analyze a poster. A couple of things must be taken in to account to judge a poster:
* the value of the community member: do they get involved with the discussion, do they contribute information, do they high jack the thread constantly, do they post a variety of information....
* the quality of the posts: are they well thought out, do they add value to the topic, are they coherent, number of thanked posts....

As I've said before - You have done a piss poor job explaining your viewpoints and addressing any of the questions made previously. There's a reason we don't take you seriously. Feel free to sift through all +5,000 of my posts to do the same analysis.

In any case, welcome to the world wide web!

Hello Codman how about another site for the Fing coal fired power plant. You keep going on about development, well it can be happen in marginal areas and then protect the best areas.
what are the reasons they did not choose the other 2 sites you proposed?

Maybe get away from the comfy giant screen TV and help people fight this thing and have development too. Just listening to the COnAL line and rolling over does not cut it dude.
And we've asked you how to get involved in the previous thread, and you gave us a half-ass action point: "go write the Governor of Sarangani". When we asked you for the address, you gave us nothing. Bravo.

Also when its all said and done, the little poor people are not going to get ****. For example Northern Mindanao, that area has had good "cheap" power for 40 years and all the "industries" that go with it, steel plant, cement plant, smelters and all. How much better of are the common people there? They got F-all.
What Codman said. Also, take a look at Batangas, Subic, Palawan, and Leyte. As Paul said, what's more important is to make sure development progresses in a responsible manner. Are you helping with that?

Back
Top Bottom