Million dollar idea that could save a life easily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Why aren't safety sausages built into our BCD's? I see this like seatbelts in a car. It amazes me how many divers get on these charters down here like its a Disney ride, with no regard to safety, no sausage and not a thought in the world about being dumped in the ocean and their responsibility to aid with being picked up/found. I was on a charter a few weeks ago where they just about lost someone. Captain had the entire boat looking for them - They got separated from their flagman - When they came on board and asked why they didnt have a sausage, they explained that their buddy (they guy with the flag) had one and they didnt really consider it BEFORE the dive anyway. It would seem simple enough to add this feature just behind the neckline of the BCD. Instead of building safety features, we get things like knife grommets. While knife grommets are nice, I would actually buy a BCD based on its safety features if there were such a thing. I guess I cannot think of a situation where you would not want a safety sausage while you have your BCD. Maybe in a cave dive, but they have special tech setups for that anyway. As I have heard others say, that's my 2 PSI. I hope a manufacturer reads this post and paves the way towards more diver safety features in their products.

Geeze. I sure wouldn't want to be wearing one of those if it malfunctioned and inflated at depth. Sounds pretty dangerous. Anyway, I'd imagine the cost it would add to the BC would be much more than the $50-$100 that you can get one (w/ spool) to stick in your BC pocket.

I did this with my BP, one of the under-stated advantages of the BP is the ability to modify it DIY.
My SMB is stored with a couple of loops of bungy on the BP with a finger spool, whistle, glow stick and signal mirror.
It is there 100% of the time ready to deploy if needed, out of the way for the 99.9% of the dives
It it impossible to re-stow in the water if I deploy :-(
Other than that it is idiot / senility proof (lucky for me)

why do peope: speed, drive without safety belt, ignore safety, rules, and recommendations,
careless, to eager to see te fun, and we can go on and on,
well it does not matter what kind of smart equipment you can get for the mind that is not working.

No thank you

I put my SMB and reel in my pocket, where I want it. I don't want to be forced to buy something where the manufacturer decides the best place to put safety equipment.

Seaquest/Aqualung has the S.O.S system at least since 2005. It is connected to the BCD and uses the air in your BCD to inflate, so there is no change in buyancy.

I can see a market for it at the junior end of the sport, but for most people it would be like packaging the MP3 player with the car. Most of us prefer to choose the car we want, and choose the MP3 player that we want separately.

Not exactly, but along those lines:

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Safety Gear - Personal Signaling Device (P.S.D.)
p_bcs_psd_2.jpg

The Scuba industry is awash with 'million dollar' gadget ideas - that's why BCDs have become so expensive and cluttered in the last decade... and also why the market for minimalist BP&W BCDs has grown enormously.

K.I.S.S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom