Million dollar idea that could save a life easily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it's worth, fdarden, I agree 100% with the spirit of what you are saying. But I think it is more a matter of training standards than design/manufacture.

DuboisP's comments #s 11&14 seem very useful to me. Why one yellow and one orange? Is there a convention that says "Orange just marks your position, while yellow signifies an emergency that perhaps needs a diver to come down and investigate"? What about the SMBs that come in both colors? What height and diameter is optimum? Which inflation method is best? Why do so many SMBs flop down when they reach the surface and how can that be avoided? Reel or spool or just thread with a weight at the end? These were not questions answered during my training. Neither basic nor advanced. And I agree with the OP that many (maybe even the majority) don't carry SMBs. And as for deploying them - well I need more practice, that's for sure. My point in all these questions is that if these things are not properly addressed during training (and they are generally not, AFAIK) then people are just going to jump in without SMBs.

I may be misinterpreting, but a lot of the comments seemed to be saying things along the lines of "I've got that issue sorted out for myself, so don't bother me, Jack". Normally comments on SB are a lot more helpful. Maybe the "regulatory" nature (or potential thereof) of the idea got people excited?

(But fdarden, if you don't mind: your post #12 could have used paragraphs for easier reading! :) )

Why aren't safety sausages built into our BCD's?
Mine is and is with me on every dive...! I dive with a Halcyon Storage Pak...! Backplate and Harness | Halcyon Dive Systems My SMB is with me on every dive and even when I dive the quarry...! Just be sure to check it from time to time for damage... lee
Why aren't safety sausages built into our BCD's? I see this like seatbelts in a car. It amazes me how many divers get on these charters down here like its a Disney ride, with no regard to safety, no sausage and not a thought in the world about being dumped in the ocean and their responsibility to aid with being picked up/found. I was on a charter a few weeks ago where they just about lost someone. Captain had the entire boat looking for them - They got separated from their flagman - When they came on board and asked why they didnt have a sausage, they explained that their buddy (they guy with the flag) had one and they didnt really consider it BEFORE the dive anyway. It would seem simple enough to add this feature just behind the neckline of the BCD. Instead of building safety features, we get things like knife grommets. While knife grommets are nice, I would actually buy a BCD based on its safety features if there were such a thing. I guess I cannot think of a situation where you would not want a safety sausage while you have your BCD. Maybe in a cave dive, but they have special tech setups for that anyway. As I have heard others say, that's my 2 PSI. I hope a manufacturer reads this post and paves the way towards more diver safety features in their products.

I may be misinterpreting, but a lot of the comments seemed to be saying things along the lines of "I've got that issue sorted out for myself, so don't bother me, Jack". Normally comments on SB are a lot more helpful. Maybe the "regulatory" nature (or potential thereof) of the idea got people excited?

Not sure what sort of help would be appropriate in this thread.

I'm STILL not sure what the original point of the post was - did the OP have an idea and was looking for feedback before pitching it to a manufacturer? If so, then negative feedback would be pretty useful, IMHO.

Or was the OP suggesting that this be some sort of standard? In that case, the previous comments seem to have addressed that concept fairly well..

Why one yellow and one orange? Is there a convention that says "Orange just marks your position, while yellow signifies an emergency that perhaps needs a diver to come down and investigate"?

Yes, there is such a convention, but is primarily only applied within the technical diving community, and then, only in specific regions.

What about the SMBs that come in both colors?

There is some discussion about what colour is most visible in the ocean, and under what circumstances/conditions. I would presume that the manufacturers of these two-colour DSMBs are attempting to produce a product that gives two options.

What height and diameter is optimum?

That depends on the weather/water conditions you plan to dive in.

Smaller/thinner/less volume is easier/safer to deploy, but might not have sufficient size/extension from the water to be seen at greater distances or in choppy water conditions. For instance, there's no use in having a 3' DSMB in 5' waves...

Generally, if you are diving in remote locations, high current (risk of being swept away) or choppy water, you will opt for a larger DSMB.

Which inflation method is best?

Determined by the size/volume of the DSMB and the individual's preferences and mode of deployment.

Why do so many SMBs flop down when they reach the surface and how can that be avoided?

Fully inflate the DSMB (accounting for air-expansion on ascent) and maintain some negative tension on the DSMB when it is at the surface.

Reel or spool or just thread with a weight at the end?

Reel or spool. A weighting line is very much an entanglement hazard.

Again, it is personal preference between a reel and spool. I prefer a spool for recreational dives as I find it easier to use and it is far cheaper. For technical dives I have to use a reel, because depth requires a much longer length of line than a spool can provide.

Back
Top Bottom