Millbrook Report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know what the temp, viz, and thermocline are in Millbrook. My son and I are planning on going over on Saturday.

This past Sunday it was 63 on the surface, in the 50s at the first thermocline and 40 at about 45'. Vis was the typical 10-20' depending on who is peering through the murk.

I was there and did a VERY short dive on Sunday (May 4th) to figure out an equipment issue. At the platform my temp read 61 degrees...but everyone else's that day read around 50 degrees at the platform...so I don't know. It was effin cold though, one way or the other. I don't plan to do anything local except Mt. Storm until late June.

A few of us are going on Saturday. Right now it is 4 of us, and we are just going to play. Easy to spot- WV plates, all of us with dbls.
-J

A few of us are going on Saturday. Right now it is 4 of us, and we are just going to play. Easy to spot- WV plates, all of us with dbls.
-J

You're diving in millbrook or Mt. Storm on Saturday? I'm thinking Mt. Storm, because why would you drive all the way from WV (with nice warm Mt. Storm) to dive in freezing millbrook.

It is warming up. The temp at 89ft has warmed up three degrees since early April. It is now 44 degrees at the bottom. Viz is also closer to 15+ feet down there also.

'sides, we all dive dry (or damp, lol) And, we all but one have been in 37 degree water.
-J

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like about the same as this time last year. Since my son is on Jr. certified and needs to stay above 40', we won't be experiencing the cooler temps on the bottom.

Right now we are planning on setting up at beach 1. Out to the platforms and then head toward sponge bob and the dentist chair. Depending on how cool we get, we are planning on a second dive.

We picked up some used steel 72's this winter and want to adjust our weight. Since they are smaller than aluminum 80's and are rated for 2250 psi, we won't get the same bottom time. With 80's, we were getting between 45 - 50 minutes. What amount of bottom time should we expect with the 72's?

Well, the easiest way to determine bottom time/air consumption from previous dives is:
find a dive that was at the same depth throughout.
Take the tanks pressure rating (AL80 @3000psi) divide the 3K by the size. This gives you .026666 cuft/psi.
Then, looking at your log, find a start pressure and end pressure (all to a consistant depth). Subtract-this is the psi used.
Then, Multiply this by the cuft/psi (.0267) This it the cuft used.
Take this number and divide it by the time of the dive. I would suggest lowering the amount of time by 5 to 8 minutes to allow for descent/ascent, etc, this will give you a more realistic and answer. This is the cuft/minute
Then take the depth, divide by 33, add 1 to the answer, and you have the surface air consumption rate.
Now, as long as your 72s are filled to 2250, simply multiply this times 72, and it gives the amount of time you could stay, sorta. You really don't want to base a dive plan on this, because, that would leave 0 psi in the tank for one, and you don't know how conditions are going to be, stress and other factors use air a lot faster. In order to get a true idea of you air consumption, go to 33 ft, rest for a few minutes, mark the pressure in the tanks, relax for say 4 minutes exactly, mark the time/pressure, then do a swim at 33, marking time and pressure, then swim as hard as you can hanging onto a platform, etc. Work all the math above on each type of activity- relaxed/normal/stuck in a current while trying to bring a porthole to the surface....this gives you a much better benchmark.
As for adjusting weight, steel 72s are heavier, and you should need less weight.
Hope this helps, and if I missed anything in the formulas, sorry, its a bit early for me right now.
-Jay

Hubby and I were out there too last sunday (May 4th) and it was about 50 at the platforms. Really not that bad. Of course we did have on 7mms with 5mm vests and hoods and 5 mm gloves - oh and i was cold in about 15 miutes....

Okay if you hate the cold I would not recommend. We would probably go again this weekend if we didn't have the DC chili cook-off!!!! woohoo!!
:D

Back
Top Bottom