Military saves distressed diver - Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A diver who found himself in difficulty at a dive site close to Ċirkewwa was rescued by the Armed Forces of Malta on Thursday morning.

In a statement, the AFM said the Malta Rescue Coordination Centre received a distress call through 112 by a civilian who reported a person in difficulty at a dive site close to Ċirkewwa.

“RCC Malta immediately dispatched its assets to the location, and successfully rescued the diver to safety.”

The AFM added that the diver was handed over to medical personnel at Mġarr, Gozo, for further assistance.

“All other divers from the same group have swum safely to shore and have been accounted for,” the AFM said.

I was there at that moment. We just finished diving at the P29 and were enjoying our interval on land when we spotted several divers just off the bouy that hangs over the p29 wreck at Cirkewwa.

That happens more often (things go wrong) but these folks (5 or 6 I believe) stayed there. After a while a fast coastguard boat approached and later a small navy boat. One or more people were taken aboard before the coastguard vessel took off at speed towards -so it seemed- Gozo. The others seemed to wait a while before swimming back to shore in a fairly strong current (the weather wasn't great, lots of wind). There they seemed to be interviewed by the police, who were waiting ashore.

It was buzzing with rumours of course (the dive site was busy) but what I could see, it seemed like experienced divers (one had a double, another I believe a ccr).

I hope everyone is (now) alright.

Back
Top Bottom