Milestone Reached - Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations on your accomplishment. It is something to be proud of. I got my MSD 3 years ago. There will always be the people that will tell you that your certification is not worth the paper that it is printed on, but it sounds like you know that there is still plenty to learn. Keep diving & continue learning.

Congratulations! I recently got mine as well. Like you also, I think it is a great roadsign along the way especially if the specialties are 'good ones', but it is a marker not a destination. Enjoy!

Now that is a great attitude towards it. I was going to question how one could be considered a Master Diver with less than 100 logged dives, but I like your attitude towards that accomplishment. You took a variety of specialties to broaden your experience within the limited number of dives you have done and view it as a means of gaining greater proficiency (I agree) and as just a start. Shows a great deal of wisdom IMHO. I think of some with less than 100 dives, all in one specific location and none particularly challenging, yet think they have it wired. Your diversity of dive experiences is a far better approach. Congratulations.

Very well said!

Given where he is from, and the challenges for him just to dive locally, much less to travel elsewhere, it really is an accomplishment. It truly shows a commitment.

Yes it has had its challenges and rewards. This area is not the easiest to dive nor the easiest/quickest to get to. I'm glad I've been able to do some warm water dives too. Half the dives I did for my MSD came from warm and the other half cold.

it is a marker not a destination. Enjoy!

XS-NRG, I'm glad you didn't take offense to my question. There are too many instructors pushing the next cert just for the sake of selling a new cert........If your road leads you across master diver, then you're progressing.

Just remember it was the next step and not the end all course. I strive to do better on every dive, and so do all of the divers I respect. Now, forget about what certs mean what to whom and go enjoy diving! Also, congrats!!

None taken. It is simply the next checkpoint along the way. I may stop here (in regards to NOT pursuing instructor levels) but I will certainly be doing lots more diving and more education for sure.

Your knowledge need not be limited by the training classes, or the material they provide.

My actual reason for certifying MSD, rather than just get the cards I needed, was a bet

Agreed. My reason for getting the MSD was mine and mine alone. No one pushed me to it, no instructor, no friend, no buddy etc, although I will admit I was having a bit of a contest with a cute girl I met in Australia to see who would get it first and the winner would be bought a beer. I was going for it no matter what though regardless of meeting her lol that ball was rolling fairly briskly by that point anyway :cool2:

Congrats on the cert. Doesn't padi require stress and rescue for msd just like ssi?

Yes they do, in the PADI world it is called the "Rescue Diver Course".
Congrats on the cert. Doesn't padi require stress and rescue for msd just like ssi?

^^^ what hawkwood said

Congrats!!!

I just got back into diving this past summer and just completed Rescue diver and Nitrox, but I can't brag because I was a combat and a mark V diver way back when I was in the service. The only thing that seems weird is I never feel like I did enough during training and tests, though, all the dive masters and instructors say I am a very good diver. Don't want to let that get into my head, I'd rather be a cautious diver then think I'm good and get cocky. I am shooting for Master Diver status as I do not want to get into the professional/instructor end. So far since mid-summer I have logged 32 dives. Because I am retired I am also thinking about Florida Keys Community College's "Research Diver" course and volunteering some time to do research diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom