Mike goes through the new Dive Talk Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not counting cells which are consumable so that shouldn't be included as all units need sensors.

The Choptima price includes your first set of sensors. So an apples to apples comparison needs to include sensors.

The Choptima price includes your first set of sensors. So an apples to apples comparison needs to include sensors.
That's a cool perk!! :) So we're up to$5,282.00 Computer+Sensors. Still less than $7,200.00 for the Chop.

Seems silly to compare them though. Its not like they are the same tool. One is meant for Cave and deep exploration for a long time and the other is meant for extended bubble free excursions of 3 hours in no more than 130ft of water.

I don't think anyone is saying one is better than the other. They are what they are.

I don't think anyone is saying one is better than the other. They are what they are.

Not disagreeing with you here.

Seems silly to compare them though. Its not like they are the same tool. One is meant for Cave and deep exploration for a long time and the other is meant for extended bubble free excursions of 3 hours in no more than 130ft of water.

While it might be silly to compare since one is an eCCR and the other is an mCCR, the only thing making the DT GO a "recreational" rebreather is the scrubber capacity. Let's not forget they confirmed there would be normoxic training for the unit which clearly makes it a "technical" rebreather. The Choptima can also be used recreationally in the same exact configurations. Sure, the unit is marginally cheaper if you forego redundant ppo2 monitoring, but if you throw on a second monitor like a NERD then you quickly are paying $7k+ for a "recreational" rebreather that has a small scrubber and no EAC capabilities. I just don't see the benefit of the DT GO over any other chestmount rebreather on the market currently.

And before anyone comes at me saying I'm an apologist for the Choptima, I owned one and sold it because I didn't like it. I much prefer my backmount unit.

That's a cool perk!! :) So we're up to$5,282.00 Computer+Sensors. Still less than $7,200.00 for the Chop.

$5,405.

I did a comparison and the price difference is like $1,500 that includes a NERD, which is the most common Choptima computer I see. Including many who started with the Petrel and moved to the NERD. IMHO since the DT Go doesn't include a HUD or even have it as an option, the NERD is the only safe configuration.

When the price difference comes down to $2k or less, why would one get a more limited unit? We don't buy regs that are good to only 130ft. And a CCR plus training is a much larger purchase. Unless the DT Go is significantly smaller than the Choptima the only difference I see is eCCR vs mCCR.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get to $5604? The unit $3500.00 plus the Petrel 3 if needed is $5045.00 not counting cells which are consumable so that shouldn't be included as all units need sensors.

Sensors and an O2 bottle. Admittedly most ccrs don’t include the o2 cylinder so it’s not apples to apples on that one. My chop did come with one.

Why would anyone dive a bulky choptima?

Made for cave exploration? More like cave floor leveling and grading, haha.

I would bet a fully assembled go would fit in the couterlung sack on the choptima.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get to $5604? The unit $3500.00 plus the Petrel 3 if needed is $5045.00 not counting cells which are consumable so that shouldn't be included as all units need sensors.
If I buy a new car, I expect tyres on it, as well as oil, some fuel, windscreen washer fluid.

For a rebreather, we wouldn't expect it to be full of lime because it doesn't travel well, ditto cylinders cannot be posted full of oxygen. I would expect a new rebreather to be ready to fill, bolt on the cylinders and dive.

Sensors and an O2 bottle. Admittedly most ccrs don’t include the o2 cylinder so it’s not apples to apples on that one. My chop did come with one.
My rEvo came with a pair (O2 and Dil), I got to pick the color. A full round of cells as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom