Might be visiting Monterey in December . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I am looking to see how available gear would be, rather than bring my gear from Ohio on the airplane.

Also, need to find out how available dive buddies are to show me the good diving around there.

Purpose of the trip is to visit an ailing father-in-law, but do want to try and get wet while out there.

Ken

Do read the links titled:

Information for the certified diver who is new to Monterey
Information on diving in kelp

on: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/

There's also a list of dive shops and dive boats there.

And pay attention to the sea conditions forecasts. We are getting
into winter pattern now, and you gotta pick your days.

There are many Operators in the area who can rent gear. As for dive buddies. Just post the dates here when you have an idea when you'll be available and I'm sure someone here will be able to dive.

Just talked to my father-in-law out there, looks like we'll be heading out there for the 19th to 23rd of December. So, my opportunities for diving will be either the 21st or 22nd.

Do read the links titled:

Information for the certified diver who is new to Monterey
Information on diving in kelp

on: Ba_diving Website - Information about Northern California diving

There's also a list of dive shops and dive boats there.

And pay attention to the sea conditions forecasts. We are getting
into winter pattern now, and you gotta pick your days.

Thanks, found some good info in there and will be reading thru it.

One note on renting gear:

Some shops rent everything, some don't. I recommend bringing your own mask, snorkel, fins, booties and gloves if possible.

That is good advice, I've never flown with any of my gear before, only made road trips where I can take it all with me.

My typical diving is in a 7mm 2 piece wetsuit, and really don't care to travel with that, but the items you list are easy enough to pack. Maybe my hood as well.

I'll be back to the forum again as I start finalizing the plans with the family.

Ken

Unfortunately I don't get home until the 25th. But there's always someone diving. Unless the conditions are really crummy.

Here is the link to Marine conditions. National Weather Service Marine Forecast

My typical diving is in a 7mm 2 piece wetsuit, and really don't care to travel with that, but the items you list are easy enough to pack. Maybe my hood as well.

I'll be back to the forum again as I start finalizing the plans with the family.

Ken

Bringing your own hood and gloves would probably be a good idea of you have room in your bags for them.

Back
Top Bottom