Miflex HP recall??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronRiot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Got this as part of the email from my LDS

"IMPORTANT RECALL on MiFlex High Pressure Hoses

MiFlex is recalling all of their High Pressure (gauge) hoses as there have been some reports of leaks or failures at the fittings, resulting in a loss of breathing gas. (THIS RECALL ONLY APPLIES TO MIFLEX HIGH PRESSURE HOSES - NOT ANY OTHERS)

These are very distinct HP hoses that do not have a rubber coating and have a braided appearance, they are also very thin (6mm in diameter). They were generally sold as accessory items or as a replacement HP hose FOR PRESSURE GAUGES ONLY. If you have purchased one of these from ______ please bring it into the shop so we can obtain you a no charge replacement. (If you have purchased one from elsewhere, please contact that vendor for assistance)

In the meantime you are advised to NOT to dive with this hose and to have it replaced. We apologize for any inconvenience and applaud the efforts of MiFlex address this issue thoroughly."

I have one, and was going to replace it anyway after reading numerous threads about them.

Anyone know if they can be sent directly to the manufacturer??

Before you go replacing it verify that it is a miflex. I just received a PM from another SB poster regarding a hose he purchased from me. I have never sold "Miflex" brand hoses. If this is the one you got from me it is not affected by this recall.

The hoses I sell are the Edgeflex and ARE NOT AFFECTED by this recall.

Only actual miflex brand HP hoses are affected by this action. I just got off the phone with Chris after receiving the PM and verified this. Again it is only "miflex" hoses that are affected. Thanks, Jim Lapenta

Do you know if installing the shock absorbers solves the problem?

When you send your hose in what do they replace it with?

Addendum: I just spoke with someone at XS Scuba and the recall is not yet official, but will occur in the near future-- within a couple of weeks. He also mentioned it's a voluntary recall.

Adam

Anyone have a copy of the 'official' announcement? A search leads me to XS Scuba but the link is dead, only a cached page works. Mifelx.com has no information.

Do you know if installing the shock absorbers solves the problem?

When you send your hose in what do they replace it with?

Addendum: I just spoke with someone at XS Scuba and the recall is not yet official, but will occur in the near future-- within a couple of weeks. He also mentioned it's a voluntary recall.

Adam

Way back when, maybe 2 or 3 years ago when there was a high number of HP failures being reported I contacted Miflex about the issue they sent me some "shock absorbers" (strain relief boots) and said that this would solve any potential issues. I wasn't convinced, threw the hose in the bin and bought a Phantom braided hose. So far so good.

Just had an e-mail exchange with XS. They are working with the CPSC to possibly commence a "voluntary recall". If/when it happens, it will be on their site. Too premature right now. Hope this does happen.

Before you go replacing it verify that it is a miflex. I just received a PM from another SB poster regarding a hose he purchased from me. I have never sold "Miflex" brand hoses. If this is the one you got from me it is not affected by this recall.

The hoses I sell are the Edgeflex and ARE NOT AFFECTED by this recall.

Only actual miflex brand HP hoses are affected by this action. I just got off the phone with Chris after receiving the PM and verified this. Again it is only "miflex" hoses that are affected. Thanks, Jim Lapenta

When you spoke with Chris did he verify that the manufacturer of the Miflex hose is not the same as the Edgeflex hose ? Scuba is a small world - manufacturers make stuff for multiple brand names . I'm just wondering if Miflex and Edgeflex aren't made by the same manufacturer. If they are the same manufacturer, then there could still be an issue if they are virtually the same product. This may just mean that XS Scuba has decided to move forward with a recall and Edge has not. No negatives meant here, just looking for an accurate answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom