Mid-West GPS Coords

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed you did not include Sheep's Cave in the beaver lake sites. is it no-longer accessible?

Well one thing that I know that you can change is on the coordinates for Duck Island. You have 37* N and it is 36*N. They have it listed wrong on the scuba sports website.

As for Google Earth. I tried the coordinates from the .doc (36 32.018' n, 93 17.057' w) again and it put me on Lakeshore drive. I put in and then I tried the coordinates from Cummings66 post from last year and that put be back into the water. So I am not really sure why it is putting me on land if it is not putting you guys there.

Well I will certainly pass along any GPS coordinates that I come across this year if I find anything interesting... This will be a great resource for everyone...

Oh yeah, and how do you convert the 36.12345 to Hours, Min, Sec? I was just putting them straight into google earth. I would like to know how to convert if it is not to dificult.

Thanks again
Phil

I get it. This is what I meant by keep the coordinates all the same. It's not 36° 32.018'N, it's 36 degrees, 32 minutes, 18 seconds. That's the error and why it worked for me and not you, but then I've done enough research on Oasis that I know where it is and so I knew what it should be.

And this link says it in better words than I would, I just know how to do it because as a pilot and a CAP member doing SAR work I get handed various coordinates and I'm expected to know how to do it. I honestly find that the way it's done in the .doc file to be a bit unclear, the decimal points should not be there as it makes you wonder was it 32.018 or 32' minutes 18" seconds. Knowing how lat/long work I can make a pretty accurate guess however this isn't a subject covered for divers and it could easily lead to confusion. In other words, I believe it should be represented like this to be clear, 36° 32' 18" N

http://geography.about.com/library/howto/htdegrees.htm

The above message isn't meant to reflect harshly on Nagel, I honestly appreciate his work and it's a great start. I like his layout and the idea works!

I understand how to convert it. It all makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

Phil

Nagel where are you going to be in St Louis?

Nice job.... :)

On Google Earth, you can have lat/lon in [degrees, minutes, seconds] or [degrees], which simply "degrees" puts it in decimals.

On the Google Earth menu, it's Tools --> Options --> 3Dview tab

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom