Mid-Trip Drysuit Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have easily replaceable (no glue) wrist seals, neck seal, and hood. I travel with a spare set of valves, hoses, wrist seals, neck seals, hoods, yoke and zipper; as well as a can of glue.

Whiteshark,

Wouldn't it be easier to just carry a second suit? :)

I just returned from a liveaboard trip where several divers experienced catastrophic drysuit failures. Day one, dive one someone ripped a wrist seal. My zipper failed completely during my second dive. One of the crew lent me a 7mm wetsuit and another diver had spare boots, otherwise I would have spent the trip topside.

What do other divers carry as exposure gear back up? I hate to risk ruining a future trip, yet don't want to buy gear I might never use. I am torn between buying a Nexgen or 7mm semi-dry or just taking the risk that a well-maintained drysuit won't fail again.

Well duct tape can keep seals going for a bit... But I usually take my 7mm with me as backup. The only time I have needed a backup drysuit (as I left my main one behind at the accommodation...), I actually had my second drysuit with me, pretty lucky! :D

So probably will start taking it with me on all trips now.

BTW, carrying the glue and the associated chemicals can be considered as carrying hazardous material. We used to pay lots of $$ on top of the regular shipping prices for shipping the chemicals from the supplier as "Hazardous Material" surcharge. sometimes the surcharged is more than the price of this material.

Back
Top Bottom