Mid-Trip Drysuit Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just returned from a liveaboard trip where several divers experienced catastrophic drysuit failures. Day one, dive one someone ripped a wrist seal. My zipper failed completely during my second dive. One of the crew lent me a 7mm wetsuit and another diver had spare boots, otherwise I would have spent the trip topside.

What do other divers carry as exposure gear back up? I hate to risk ruining a future trip, yet don't want to buy gear I might never use. I am torn between buying a Nexgen or 7mm semi-dry or just taking the risk that a well-maintained drysuit won't fail again.

second drysuit on trips where I can't get another one right away. have suit serviced right before because I'm paranoid about missing dive. I know my zipper is at it's end of life. Not a big deal diving locally. I wouldn't trust it on a trip.

Well, I look over my suit before any big trip, and repair or replace anything that looks dubious. I learned that from a trip where we literally ended up duct-taping my neck seal together.

When I replace my neck seal next time, I'm going to the ring system that SiTech is selling. Then spares is really just a spare neck seal to carry. (I have not yet torn a wrist seal, and I use dry gloves in very cold water, so the wrist seals are just insurance anyway.)

Life is like a box of chocolates.

When I was in the Galapagos, I tore my primary suit's right wrist seal, too badly to repair it, on the second day. Thank goodness I had my back- up suit also. That one preformed fine. I now have Zip seals on my primary suit. If I'm going to dive like that, I'm taking a full extra set of seals. If one rips, just take the old one off & zip in the new pair & Voila! I 'm ready to go in about 5- 10 min.

Depends on the temperature. I have worn custom wetsuits with no zippers since I had a failure on a working dive in my early years. There is not much on a wetsuit that can't be repaired at sea except a maybe zipper. Si-Tech style replaceable neck and wrist seals is prudent, but there is not much you can do at sea to fix drysuit zipper other than carry a replacement suit.

I would carry a wetsuit for backup unless the depth, duration, and/or water temperature would ruin the trip in a wetsuit. The nice thing about a good wetsuit is you can use it when diving in less demanding conditions where a drysuit may not be worth the trouble.

All of my extended dive trips and liveaboards are to places warm enough that I only need a 5mm wetsuit. Wouldn't feel like a vacation if it was cold enough to bring a drysuit.

All of my extended dive trips and liveaboards are to places warm enough that I only need a 5mm wetsuit. Wouldn't feel like a vacation if it was cold enough to bring a drysuit.

Its an individual thing, for sure, but a 5mm in the Galapagos would not have been enough for me. A 2pc 7mm or a semi dry,.... maybe, but not a 5mm.

I have easily replaceable (no glue) wrist seals, neck seal, and hood. I travel with a spare set of valves, hoses, wrist seals, neck seals, hoods, yoke and zipper; as well as a can of glue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom