Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichKirby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone using Microsoft DIS 2006? I'm not going to pay for PhotoShop CS and I've read some negative things about Elements 4 being sluggish and locking up. I need a good photo editor that doesn't require an art degree to use, but that is still powerful. Is this a good software program to use, or should I just go with Elements?

GIMP...try with gimp

GIMP, really? Better than using a commercial product? I know nothing about it, so I'll google it and see.

GIMP is the best FREE program.....is free.
PS CS is the best, but you need the $$$$$.
No every one want to spend all that kind of money, if there is a solution that solution is called GIMP

RichKirby:
Anyone using Microsoft DIS 2006? I'm not going to pay for PhotoShop CS and I've read some negative things about Elements 4 being sluggish and locking up. I need a good photo editor that doesn't require an art degree to use, but that is still powerful. Is this a good software program to use, or should I just go with Elements?

Take a look at Paint Shop Pro 10.0 at $129.

I use CS2 and have been a Photoshop advocate for years but I know some Paint Shop Pro users who swear by it and get excellent results.

Where PS excels and other fall short is in PS's Postscript and color print quality.

I am a GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)fan!!!
If you dont need layers (or maybe for the images you will not use them), try using PhotoFiltre, nice, user-friendly and has some plug-ins... I call it "everybody-first-image-editing-software".
BOTH OPEN SOURCE!!! (Free to use)

RichKirby:

This is a decision you must make!

Some things I look for in an application...

1. Color Aware - Deal breaker IMO.

2. Healing brush, or something similar. One of the most useful tools.

3. White/Black/Grey point adjustments.

4. Support of the RAW format of your choice - another deal breaker.

5. Speed. One reason I never purchased Nikon's Capture... I....T....S S...........L................O.................W..................! :D

I'm going to d/l GIMP and play around with it some this weekend. I'll keep PSP in mind too.

RichKirby:
I'm going to d/l GIMP and play around with it some this weekend. I'll keep PSP in mind too.

Every software that has been listed on this thread comes with a 30 day free trial. Don't judge everything just based on others opinions, you can download them and try them. Granted, CS2 is so full of features that one will NOT necessarily get a good feel for how powerful it is, and it can be frustrating to learn. I can not comment on Elements as I don't use it.

Paint Shop Pro always gets good reviews by the Rags. It may have a easier learning curve vs the Adobe products based on what I've read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom