Mexico Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

queennyac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone been on the Rocio del Mar out of Mexico - diving the Sea of Cortez? I am just starting to explore this boat, but someone told me that the safety factor is very questionable - not on the boat, but getting there - seems you fly into Phoenix, then drive for 4 hours to get to where the boat is docked in Mexico - said that driving through AZ down to Mexico has become quite dangerous and also crossing the border with all your scuba equipment you will probably need to pay off the corrupt border guards - IS THIS THE CASE?? If so, sounds like Mexico will have to come off my list - thanks for any insight anyone out there can provide

"someone" needs to get their facts straight. fwiw, I've lived in Arizona almost 40 years so I've seen a lot of changes.

Yes there is border crime but mostly it's drug/human smuggling and they don't want anything to do with you. In fact they'll go out of their way to not be seen by you. I'm not going to sugarcoat it, illegal immigration here is a problem. There's also a highly visible border patrol presence - you'll possibly see them (more than once) on the drive down.

There's also a drug trafficking problem but so far that's been mostly limited to rival gangs kidnapping or assassinating each other.

Just stay on the main road and you'll be fine. You're also driving west of Phoenix on a minor Arizona highway so less likely to run into smugglers - they like to blend in with the major traffic on the Interstate. And you'll be crossing the border in Lukeville - if you blink you'll miss it.

Shops here and in Tucson regularly caravan to San Carlos (near Guaymas) which is a lot further into Mexico than you'll be going. I've done it as recently as 3 years ago and I can assure you no one is paid off at the border crossing. It's likely you'll only get stopped briefly crossing over.

My LDS has a trip on the Rocio del Mar the last week of May. So they must not think it's an issue.

Another issue will be that you'll need to find a car rental agency that will allow you to take the car into Mexico - not all of them do. And buy Mexican travel insurance as your U.S. coverage likely stops at the border.

If you don't want to drive, these folks will pick you up at the Phoenix airport and drive you down to Puerto Penasco. Head Out To Rocky Point - Your full Service Charter & Shuttle Service to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco), Mexico Might be worth it instead of leaving the car there all week. IIRC Rocio has some arrangement with a secured, paid parking lot if you do drive.

For other questions contact: ScubaBoard - View Profile: Dora the Explorer

It's her boat...and IIRC she lives here. (Phoenix) So probably does the border crossing often.

In case you've not seen it, there's a Rocio website: http://www.rociodelmarliveaboard.com/

Last edited:
said that driving through AZ down to Mexico has become quite dangerous and also crossing the border with all your scuba equipment you will probably need to pay off the corrupt border guards.

Are you kidding, really some people are so misinformed. I own property in San Felipe on the sea of cortez and go down quite regularly. As a matter of fact I just got back less than 3 weeks ago. We drove across from Yuma into Algadones with absolutely no problems. The problems you will have is coming back into the states and for me into Canada.
The Mexican people are awesome, very kind and generous. There are one or two places you probably want to stay away from. Juarez comes to mind, but I doubt I would travel into Compton or The Bronx so it is all relative.

I dive with Desert Divers in San Carlos and my last trip down there from Tucson was the end of February. It was very safe and no problems occurred. I'm planning on going down again the first weekend in May. I drive by myself and I'm a female. Much of the time, I'm not with the caravan because my F-250 won't hold the curves as well at 90+ mph speed that the others typically drive.

Are you kidding, really some people are so misinformed. I own property in San Felipe on the sea of cortez and go down quite regularly. As a matter of fact I just got back less than 3 weeks ago. We drove across from Yuma into Algadones with absolutely no problems. The problems you will have is coming back into the states and for me into Canada.
The Mexican people are awesome, very kind and generous. There are one or two places you probably want to stay away from. Juarez comes to mind, but I doubt I would travel into Compton or The Bronx so it is all relative.
It's a common misunderstanding that all of Mexico is as dangerous as the few hot spots that make the news, and some do. Decades ago I have been to Tijuana and Juarez for fun but I wouldn't go to either now. The State Department also warns about Nuevo Laredo, Nogales, and Matamoros, but much of Mexico is safer than many US cities. You can get beneficial info at International Travel Information but may not want to take it all as gospel.

I've never crossed at Arizona, but it sounds pretty safe to me. We do have a Mexico forum, btw.

Last edited:
OK I used to live in Az and did both those dive places discussed on a regular basis. RP is supposed to now have a international airport and San Carlos does also, I have actually flown into both, that said the US government has posted a LOT OF SCARE WARNINGS about LAND border crossings. Both those dive locations are great for Arizona divers cause it offers week-end get-aways, since you are flying anyway look into coming to Manzanillo, airport code ZLO. we have great diving, the water is currently 76 deg. we are 160 mi south of Puerto Vallarta in the state of Colima, one of the safest states in all of Mexico.
I moved here to be in real Mexico & to be able to dive daily if i choose, it isn't a "touristy area" like the much advertised mexican locations.

Thanks for all of the information. I have spoke with Dora and am planning on Diving with them the end of Aug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom