Mexican Cenote Crystal Clear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry Christmas to all.

Although I am a relatively new diver, I do consider myself quite sensitive to environmental impact while underwater. I pursue precision buoyancy control and, especially on delicate reefs, avoid all contact (as opposed to most of the dive masters I've been with).

Although, obviously, not familiar with all diving faux pas, I didn't consider my contact with that particular limestone as an environmental transgression worthy of castigation. As a hiker and above water outdoorsman I come from a background where limited contact with the environment is not so frowned upon.

I've attached another pic in this cenote, navigating a space where zero rock contact is nearly impossible.

In any case, I appreciate those who posted in the spirit of education. I can take a little newbie criticism.

Regards,
Jason

Attachments

• r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 84
I have to say I'm quite surprised by these pics. I wouldn't expect to see a recreational diver in such a confined space on a cenote dive. How much solid overhead can one expect on the cenote dives? I leave for Coz Xmas Day and have my first cenote dive scheduled for the 31st.

Very nice...thanks.

I have to say I'm quite surprised by these pics. I wouldn't expect to see a recreational diver in such a confined space on a cenote dive. How much solid overhead can one expect on the cenote dives? I leave for Coz Xmas Day and have my first cenote dive scheduled for the 31st.

You are never more than about 100 feet from an opening but depending on cenote structure you often can't see the opening until you get very near it so there is definately a sense at times of being in a cave. Lights are totally necessary, at times it will be pitch black without them.

But a very cool diving experience, I made 4 cenote dives in Nov 2007 (Dos Ojos both sides, Chac Mol and Taj Mahal) and now I look forward to going back for more.

Merry Christmas to all.

Although I am a relatively new diver, I do consider myself quite sensitive to environmental impact while underwater. I pursue precision buoyancy control and, especially on delicate reefs, avoid all contact (as opposed to most of the dive masters I've been with).

Although, obviously, not familiar with all diving faux pas, I didn't consider my contact with that particular limestone as an environmental transgression worthy of castigation. As a hiker and above water outdoorsman I come from a background where limited contact with the environment is not so frowned upon.

I've attached another pic in this cenote, navigating a space where zero rock contact is nearly impossible.

In any case, I appreciate those who posted in the spirit of education. I can take a little newbie criticism.

Regards,
Jason

I've been in limestone caves (ATM in Belize - not underwater) where you can literally see the entire palm imprint on the side of walls where someone touched the rocks and the oils from their skin creates a lasting mark. They are a very fragile environment. If necessary pushing off underwater with a single fingertip is preferable.

... Lights are totally necessary, at times it will be pitch black without them.

Here's an example, The first pic is without flash, the second is the same shot with flash. The blurriness is the disturbed halocline, not camera out of focus. I found the disturbed halocline and associated visual disturbance to be the most disorienting part of the dive. Behind the divemaster, at times I could barely see a few feet, only the glow of lights, impossible to tell which was which. I learned to be either above or below the boundary. Before the boundary is disturbed is creates the most amazing semi-reflective / false surface effect. The benefit of being below the boundary was the water was significantly warmer.

The last pic is of the dive guide. You can see the underwater stalagmite overhead in that one.

Jason

Attachments

• r9.jpg
    r9.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 71
  • r10.jpg
    r10.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 74
  • r17.jpg
    r17.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 65
Fishstyx, thank you for taking our criticism in good nature. You will find that cave divers are almost obsessive on the topic of protecting the cave environment, because every scar we leave is permanent, at least for our lifetime.

The photograph you post of a place where contact with the cave is unavoidable, isn't. You have a good foot below you to drop, and a careful modified flutter kick with the right knee bend will get you right through there without touching a thing. Of course, we train for a long time to learn to do that! I don't know what cenote that was in, but it surprises me that a cavern tour went through someplace that small. For the most part, they stay in larger passage, where there is little silt, or where you can easily stay well off it.

Hopefully, this lovely taste of the cave environment will give you some impetus to learn the skills necessary to pass through it without impacting it. It can be done, and it's fun to learn -- and what's even better, those skills heighten one's enjoyment of every simple reef dive, as well.

The guidelines for caving in Mexico are very minimal. I see people who have never been in overhead environments doing some serious overheads there. There is little seperation between cave and cavern. The guide shown, has some proper equipment, but doesn't seem to mind the divers in rec equip. Also, the guide is KNEELING on the bottom and is showing some serious disregard of the cave environment.

They won't know what they have until it's gone.

I shuddered when I saw the dive guide in a vertical position. This looks like an open water dive to me and not a cavern/cave dive. The lack of buoyancy control all around makes me very concerned for all involved.
I've "grown up" around DIR divers and I think that I'm spoiled. It seems that most recreational divers' opinion of good buoyancy is not mine :)

I dived this cavern last January and it is indeed very beautiful. All of them are in my opinion. I took the cavern class and I'm glad I did. I was the only one in my team not diving doubles. I was jealous and glad that my SAC rate is .45 :)

Most of the caverns we did had long separations between natural light sources. Definitely a hard overheard and not what I would recommend to someone who is inexperienced and/or has not mastered a good horizontal trim, modified flutter, and frog kick. It's an unforgiving environment and I truly am surprised that we don't hear about panicked divers and things going wrong more often. This environment is inherently not safe for the untrained.

It was definitely worth the effort to get trained. I can't wait to go back.

I am very glad that I got to read this and this is the kind of information that I look for on Suba board. Cheryl and I are going to make our first cenote dive in Feburary in Playa. I started taking underwater pictures and video in Cozumel last November and learned allot more about buoyancy control while taking pictures. Both Cheryl and I try to learn more with every dive we take. Good and not so good things that people do while filming or making new dives helps some of us become better divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom