metric tanks and hydros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marchand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently acquired some steel scubapro tanks threaded for the M25 valve. they have no DOT or TC markings. Is it possible to get these hydroed? I seem to remember someone mention something about having an adapter made so they can be hydroed...

I am under the impression that if they do not have DOT markings, they are not legal to hydro. Hopefully someone will step in and either tell me I'm an idiot, or back me up...

Sure, it's legal to hydro them. It's just illegal to USE them (here in the US).

If you are not going to get them commercially filled and fill them yourself get a "safety hydro". Vintage equipment divers do this because they do not want new hydro stamps on their tanks but want to know they are safe. Ask your facility to confirm that they meet spec's, but understand they will not stamp them or give any written confirmation as their a** would be on the line.

They cannot be hydro'd and stamped unless they are immediatley leaving the country.

I've had a couple of oddball Cavalero (sp) tanks hydro'd by my local testing station. They get away with this by not putting their usual numbers between the month and year.

If I were to get these hydro'd what would the test pressure be?
3382946034_22a0143678.jpg

3382119177_e63bf8e69b.jpg

You got two very different tanks there,

1st pic 200bar(2940psi) tank test pressure 300 bar(4410psi)
2nd pic 300bar(4410psi)tank test pressure 450 bar (6615psi)

1st can be din or yoke
2nd must be din when used to full capasity

This is what DOT says about foreign scuba tanks. This is from a letter from DOT about the use of foreign tanks in the US. For the right answer rather than hearsay contact http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/info-center They have been prompt and helpfull with my questions.

"This Departments Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR part 171 - 180) do not prohibit a non DOT specification cylinder from being refilled and transported provided the charged cylinder is not offered for transportation in interstate commerce. The HMR are not applicable to the use of, recharging or transportation of scuba cylinders by private individuals for personal use. However whether or not a refiller will fill a cylinder is a matter within his own discretion and over which this Department has no control."

This is what DOT says about foreign scuba tanks. This is from a letter from DOT about the use of foreign tanks in the US. For the right answer rather than hearsay contact PHMSA - Hazardous Materials Information Center They have been prompt and helpfull with my questions.

"This Departments Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR part 171 - 180) do not prohibit a non DOT specification cylinder from being refilled and transported provided the charged cylinder is not offered for transportation in interstate commerce. The HMR are not applicable to the use of, recharging or transportation of scuba cylinders by private individuals for personal use. However whether or not a refiller will fill a cylinder is a matter within his own discretion and over which this Department has no control."

And what facility is licensed to do CE hydro's in the U.S.? This is a complicated problem and involves more than just the DOT. It also involves OSHA, state regulators, insurance regulators, and liability issues. Do not think that the final resolution is only with the DOT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom