Metal Detector Advice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rutger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

There seems to be a dearth of available information on the topic, and I don't necessarily want to rely solely on the available corporate propaganda.

If you have input, experience, or knowledge on recommending underwater metal-detectors, I'd like to hear from you.

I have always thought it would be cool to be able to detect semi-precious metals while diving, but I have a practicqal purpose in locating a gold/emerald ring of some financial and sentimental value that was lost off a dock. I would prefer to rent a machine, but for the cost, and frequency I dive, perhaps buying is better.

It would appear the most common / best machines are either Fishers or Garrett, but there is a hell of a price difference.

Feedback?

i have a garrett infinium and a cz 21 metal i use for underwater metal detecting both are awesome machines for detecting.
the fisher cz 21 actually has a small enough shaft that you can just shrink size and go diving is an awesome way to find valuables.

I have a Fisher Impulse, it has no discrimination, dig, dig, dig, lots of non precious metal.

I have a Fisher Impulse, it has no discrimination, dig, dig, dig, lots of non precious metal.

I felt the same way, had a tesoro sandshark, and it would ping on the twistie ties a foot deep, but it also found a thin gold band with a diamond pretty deep too.

Learning to work my excalibur now, and starting to like it more, but not 100% sure its a sensitive, however its nice not to dig every hairpin, twisty tie, and fishhook

Today I found a good price on a Garrett Infinium LS so I snatched it up at my LDS. Tomorrow begins the hunt. I chose this one because of the discrimination, ability to tune out salt-water/high mineral background noise and electrical interference, as well as the 200' depth range.

Hi All,

There seems to be a dearth of available information on the topic, and I don't necessarily want to rely solely on the available corporate propaganda.

If you have input, experience, or knowledge on recommending underwater metal-detectors, I'd like to hear from you.

I have always thought it would be cool to be able to detect semi-precious metals while diving, but I have a practicqal purpose in locating a gold/emerald ring of some financial and sentimental value that was lost off a dock. I would prefer to rent a machine, but for the cost, and frequency I dive, perhaps buying is better.

It would appear the most common / best machines are either Fishers or Garrett, but there is a hell of a price difference.

Feedback?

Hmm, I would suggest you google "Friendly Metal Detecting Forum". It is by far one of the best forums out there for metal detecting bar none, and there is a fairly large group of experienced UW detectorists from all over, and a HUGE base of general detectorists from around the world. You'll be able to get the information you need and much more then you ever wanted. I am also a member of those forums, and have been for some time now, as the name states, most everyone is quite friendly :)

Hope it helps!

The Vibra Tector is a good small and very cost effective machiene ,
As its pulse induction it finds everything.
it is not for searching large areas of flat seabed as it has a short handle that limits the sweep
it is great for small areas and pinpointing.

In my opinion Stay far away form Detector pro for under water work

My buddy uses the Garrett Infinium and does very well with it, I believe he picked it up at Kellyco for a nice price. I prefer the Minelab Excaliber I believe it to have better discrimination and have had better luck with the Excal vs. Infinium under water but I also have other Minelab detectors and probably just have a better feel for them than other detectors. I have heard that Garrett has a better service turnaround time than Minelab and customer service is also very good.

I run an old UW Tesoro. Lifetime warrenty is awsome! Called a couple of days ago because I lost one of the ear muffs. They flat out offered to send 2 new ones. Free! Put on a brand new coil about 3 yrs ago, also free. Just bought a vibra tector for 160.00 at MT.com. Would NEVER go back down without it. Hits on ANYTHING within 2". Also has a very narrow feild of view, striaght out the tip!

Good luck with your search!

For anyone else looking for fedback I've had a Fisher 1280X since about 1990. Never had to do anything other put in a new set of batteries once in a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom