Cheap underwater metal detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a vibra-tector. I'd be interested in your comparison.

Those are good for shallow targets and are PI machines also so every nail and Bobby pin will make it sing. I want one for a few spots I snorkel. I just use my Garrett pinpointer for those spots now. Does the same just takes a bit more to cover a area.

I have a vibra-tector. I'd be interested in your comparison.
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to use it. I was planning on spending the last day or two of a dive trip on the beach. Unfortunately both kids came down with an illness. The beaches and dive sites around here tend to be to full of junk targets so I haven't bothered locally.

Do yourself a big favor...save your lunch-money and buy a good-quality metal detector! I started out with a Garrett sea Hunter MK II for $600 and had pretty good success with it. But being a PI machine, I was wasting too much time and air digging junk targets.

I got myself a Minelab Excalibur II for around $1400 and it paid for itself with my first find, a 2,500 Euro 18 K, diamond ring!
Most of my friends started with low-quality detectors and almost immediately experienced "buyers-remorse".

You'll find that the Vibra-Tectors are virtually useless as a primary detector, but in Vibra-Tector's defense, they make an EXCELLENT 2-inch pinpointer that is good to 100 meters. This is my go-to pinpointer for underwater metal detecting and it is the best underwater pinpointer that I have!

I had a really cheap POS that was left behind in the garage of a house I bought. While playing around with it one day I found a property marker that I didn't know was there, and a neighbor who thought his property was bigger than it really was. More recently, two of my grandsons were saving up for a metal detector in about the $200 range. My girlfriend had a rather nice one in her garage so I fixed a minor mechanical problem and gave it to the kids. I think they used it twice before losing interest. You said "underwater" and this one could be used in the water up to a certain point, but the control head was not submersible. OK along the edge of a pond etc. It could also be tuned to ignore ferrous metals and focus on heavy metals. I buried some old Mexican coins and they got a thrill finding those, but I guess if you don't find a diamond ring soon enough it might be difficult to stay interested. Maybe someone you know has one in their garage. After all, I had two and wasn't even looking for one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom