Metal body second stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 to Awap

The difference between 109 and Balanced Adjustable is (naturally) the BA is balanced with different guts, but the 109 can be upgraded to BA....I have a few for sale, I'll send you a PM if you're interested.
c

I'd recommend taking couv up on his offer if you are interested in R-109's.

Another near-current metal 2nd stage is the Mares Voltrex. It is the same as the (old style) Mares Abyss that replaced it in Mares' lineup, it just has a different front cover. It uses all of the same rebuild parts as the current Abyss models, and has a metal orifice (the late-model Abyss's transitioned to plastic orifices I believe :depressed: ).

As far as metal regs, that I have:

2 Mares Abyss (2007 model)
1 Mares Voltrex (not sure what year)
1 Scubapro R-109 (probably 1970's vintage, converted to Balanced Adjustable, thanks to help from the "usual suspects" here).

I love metal 2nds, and as soon as I can sneak a couple/few more past my ever-watchful wife, I will :eyebrow:

Best wishes.

I have two older Aqualung Conshelf XII's id let go of for $50 each. Comes with 1st and 2nd stage and a pressure gauge/depth gauge on each.

Not that I've picked up the Mares Proton but I'd imagine that the Abyss will be far lighter.

I never used the Abyss. I don't find the Proton heavy. I like it. (Picture at left shows a two-hose Proton regulator.)

There was a thread recently that said Aqualung had stopped producing the Conshelf XIV completely. It may have been in the vintage forum.

Could be. Don't know for sure. This link was taken directly from Aqualung's website and the linked page is titled "2010_conshelf_xiv.pdf"; but, who knows, it could be discontinued.:idk:

the proton should be lighter than the abyss. but here is my question, we all know that metal is better for cold water diving but how does the mares carbon do in the cold?

The scubapro G250V is plastic bodied, but has a metal air barrel. I find it does not breath as dry as an all plastic reg, but it does weigh a lot less than my R109's do.

Back
Top Bottom