MESS AT COZUMEL AIRPORT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So yesterday AA had an extra DFW to CZM flight for spring break. First time I have ever seen a third scheduled flight. Late out of DFW due to a ramp closure (lightening) and it was almost 6PM and no other planes on the ramp upon arrival. I was the first person off the plane nd in the line for immigration.
Inside I find about 75 people still in line from the last normal daily fight. I spoke to the folks and found out they had been in line since 3 something. When they arrived 2 full aircraft loads of folks were backed up outside the immigration hall was full.

Only 2 of the 5 immigration stations were manned and was told it had been that way all day.
Yep, sounds like you got in at the back end of the craziness. Last week I was in the middle of it. I sure hope the authorities realize that if continued that will hurt the island's economy. It should not take a great intellect to figure that out…but this is their country.

Dave Dillehay

Only 2 of the 5 immigration stations were manned and was told it had been that way all day.

This was the case in December as we lined up outside. One took a short break while we were in line. Two full planes at the same time backup outside. The third plane has to wait to even deplane. Often, one of the same immigration peeps is the same one who has to go stamp the passports of us residents trying to leave. We often have to wait until the incoming plane is done in order to check in. This is Mexico, someone has to wait.....and wait.

It was worse at coming into DFW. The line to get into the immigration stretched down the hall. It was the biggest ever time saving for Global Entry since its inception.

This was the case in December as we lined up outside. One took a short break while we were in line. Two full planes at the same time backup outside. The third plane has to wait to even deplane. Often, one of the same immigration peeps is the same one who has to go stamp the passports of us residents trying to leave. We often have to wait until the incoming plane is done in order to check in. This is Mexico, someone has to wait.....and wait.

It was worse at coming into DFW. The line to get into the immigration stretched down the hall. It was the biggest ever time saving for Global Entry since its inception.
And yet they skim about $100M each year for customs / immigration/ tourist fees from this airport, in addition to the normal Airline landing and operations fees to run the airport.

And yet they skim about $100M each year for customs / immigration/ tourist fees from this airport, in addition to the normal Airline landing and operations fees to run the airport.

Last trip down I had some auto parts in my bag, a starter motor and a master cylinder.
I didn't even get a chance to press the button.
The person running the xray machine called someone over as soon as they saw it.
They took my bags to the side and did a lazy search, they opened it to see but didn't bother to open the boxes. They asked how much they cost and if I had receipts.
I showed the receipts and paid 19% import duty.
Credit card only no cash accepted.

Last trip down I had some auto parts in my bag, a starter motor and a master cylinder.
I didn't even get a chance to press the button.
The person running the xray machine called someone over as soon as they saw it.
They took my bags to the side and did a lazy search, they opened it to see but didn't bother to open the boxes. They asked how much they cost and if I had receipts.
I showed the receipts and paid 19% import duty.
Credit card only no cash accepted.
That sounds normal and reasonable to me; is there some reason why it wasn't?

That sounds normal and reasonable to me; is there some reason why it wasn't?
I was explaining what I went through.
Although, nowhere on the declaration form did it say anything about auto parts needing to be declared and I am supposed to be able to bring in items worth up to $300 without having to pay duty.
The parts were less than $300 but I had to pay duty on the entire amount.
So actually it was unreasonable and a shakedown.
In the past, my bags were only checked if I got the red light.
Now, the xray watcher directly called someone over when they saw the parts.

Auto and boat parts are not except from duty and are not part of you exemption. They seem to turn a blind eye towards a limited amount of automotive parts but some of the gals are a very tight on any boat or marine motor parts. A Yamaha sticker on the part sets some of them off.

TODAY, MARCH 13, I ran into the biggest mess seen since coming here 32 years ago.

First hint was that there were 6 planes at the gates, and two waiting for a gate. With Southwest we did not wait for a gate…but once stoped it was a 20 minute wait before we were let off. The reason was communicated to us that the immigration was overflowing into the ramp—and was it ever! Another 20 minutes trying to squeeze into the completely packed immigration, to wait another 45 minutes to pass into baggage claim. And then another 30 minutes to get the bags.

Everything was a crowded mess, even the taxi area. I don't think I will ever return to Cozumel during Spring Break! I hope you have better luck for your trip.

Dave Dillehay
Villa Aldora
If I knew you were in town, I would have bought you a Marg to take the edge off!!

On Saturday it took us 1h45m to get through passport control. We started in line outside near gate 5, which is where the carts bring in the bags to baggage claim. Fortunately, the lines were well organized and the remodel likely helped.

Back
Top Bottom