THOUGHTS ON SOUTHWEST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have some thoughts on Southwest that are important to understand and might be lost in the big thread.

In the last few months I know of multiple incidents for their aircraft in Cozumel, that justify the withdrawal from that market. A few months ago, my wife and I boarded SW in the afternoon. After leaving the gate and running up, we had to return because of some warning light. After a bunch of tries to fix it, the crew gave up and sent us back to the boarding area. From there it was a mess until they let us out at about 9PM. Let us know another flight would get us out in the morning. So, not only did that create a bunch of upset people but they had to provide over night lodging and meals, and big travel vouchers., They had to send down another aircraft the next day and figure out how to fix the broken bird remotely. Big money costs to SW.

Then last week one of my US employees went through the exact same thing.

Part of the reason is that almost all of their aircraft are long in the tooth 737-700s. And with just one flight a day such events are extremely costly. SW has had a long order in with Boeing for newer aircraft that has not been fulfilled, with no expectations in the near future. As much as it disappoints me, I have come to the conclusion that SW has made prudent business decision in dropping CZM flights.

David Dillehay

That makes a lot of sense. The enshittification of Boeing by former McDonnell Douglas execs is certainly having a wide ripple effect.

As their resources (aircraft) are becoming constrained (unfulfilled Boeing orders), it has a ripple effect throughout their service areas. The biggest volume will take priority. CZM isn't high on their priorities.

It isn't just CZM they ceased operations in...

Part of the reason is that almost all of their aircraft are long in the tooth 737-700s.
The 2nd part of the reason happened 10 years ago with the integration of AirTran into the Southwest corporate structure. This lately has filtered out with a very heavy top load of "long senority" pilots and staff so thick that new hires can't break into the best schedules because there are so many 'old-timers' who they can't bump on the schedule. And the old timers don't have to work the 'less-attractive' routes. This is one of the main reasons for dumping a route>>>They can't get staff to work it. Now if the plane were to 'overnite' in CZM like it does at CUN, then staff would be signing up left & right to work that 1-night vacation from the cold regions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom