Mesh Tank Protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a brand new PST E8-130 tank going on it's first dive this weekend. I already peeled the big PST sticker off, and I know that someday soon it will grow up and lose its virgin shiny finish, which is just fine. My question, without concern for aesthetics, is, do those mesh tank protectors add any real value to keeping the tank in good condition? It's going to be laying down on rough pavement at the beach, be tossed in and out of air fill stations, etc, and I want to prevent the finish from being dinged or pock-marked. If you use a mesh protector, should it be removed each time the tank is rinsed to ensure salt water isn't trapped? Also, is giving the tank a thorough rinse through the boot adequate, or do I really need to pry the boot off each time?

Thanks,
Kevin

The boots should be removed. If you don't want to leave it off permanently, get a plastic headed hammer (made for wood chisels) and use that as it won't mark the tank.

Don't get anal about the tank. Just use it and be somewhat careful when you lay it down.

don't use mesh. It snags everything and is just a huge PITA. Take care of the tank and it'll be fine. It's not like they are porcelain or something. My boots are coming off pretty soon too.

Anything that is going to hurt the tank is going to basicaly ignore a flimsy plastic mesh.

IMHO

Mesh is generally not worthwhile - ask yourself - how many dive operations have you seen using it to protect well-used tanks?

If you are concerned about banging a tank around, there are tank bands (about 1" wide) that you put on at about 3/4 of the way up the tank. They reduce the risk of banging around in transit (but not much).

And some of my buddies think they're a waste of time - but they're on now.

Should you remove the boot every time - No, if you have checked its nature. If it's like most and water can drain down channels in its side and from a large hole in the bottom center - don't worry too much. Otherwise - consider removal and full rinse and drain. BTW - rubber camping mallets are also cheap and easy to get - they are ideal for removing boots.

scubacalifornia:
Also, is giving the tank a thorough rinse through the boot adequate, or do I really need to pry the boot off each time?

Anecdote time:

I recently inspected a set of five steels manufactured from 1968 - 1974. All were in excellent condition inside, one in particular was pristine with absolutely no flash rust anywhere in the interior. All were in good to very good condition on the outside until the boots came off. All had corrosion under the "self-draining" boots, in one case severe enough to warrant failing the tank.

The remaining four are going back into service without boots.

On many boats, boots are a real PITA because the round hole in the woodwork where you place your tank while setting up is just bigger than the cylinder without a boot. So either the boot jams in, or it goes through because of the weight but then at dive time you need to stand on the seat to be able to pull it out vertically. I've seen the boot come off in many cases.

I use the boots, I don't take them off every dive to rinse cuz I'm a slacker I guess. Primarily shore-diving motivates this, I'm often gearing up off the tailgate or picnic tables and it's nice to have them stand up by themselves. I'm not doing any dives in seaweed or virgin wrecks with cables & lines, etc, so don't feel the boots are an issue today. I do remove and rinse/dry tanks on a periodic basis but can't say it's every or even every second dive, well I could but it wouldn't be true.

Fugeddabout the mesh, it'll leave a permanent imprint on your tank if you don't remove and rinse regularly, and it'll stretch out, not fit, slip down when you slide a bc on and slide off when you pull the bc off if you take it off and on regularly.

Within a few months you'll find yourself setting your high $ WI BC on the pavement and chasing a $5 tank mesh bouncing in the wind across the parking lot. So focused on capturing that little neon green sucker you don't see the carload of fishermen pulling into that last available parking spot where they don't see you've finally captured the renegade piece of crap (I mean professional diving accessory) and you meet your fate at the bumper of a '92 Corrolla.

The choice is yours, but if you go out that way - We split your gear!

miketsp:
On many boats, boots are a real PITA because the round hole in the woodwork where you place your tank while setting up is just bigger than the cylinder without a boot. So either the boot jams in, or it goes through because of the weight but then at dive time you need to stand on the seat to be able to pull it out vertically. I've seen the boot come off in many cases.

I've never seen a boat set up with holes like that, usually I see a trough or a short lip that separates seat from tank stow, I guess if the boot comes off as you stand up with your kit you've still found a solution though, eh? LOL

I'd be screwed on that boat, after all the practice I've put into making sure I pull the bungy off my valves I'd be caught by the boots anyway!

CD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom