Merits of Kohala versus Kona on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

I dove Kona about six years ago and have been diving Kohala about once or twice a year for the past two years since the resorts up there are better for my non-diving wife. I was surprised to find that I actually prefer Kohala relative to Kona based on my somewhat fading memory of Kona. I did about 12 dives in one week in Kona back in 2003 and have done about 25 dives in Kohala over the past two years.

I was just curious, do the people on the board prefer Kona relative to Kohala or is it just more convenient?

This is not a troll, I was OK with Kona when I went there in 2003, but I was pleasantly surprised with Kohala despite my low expectations when I went there in 2007. I am just trying to figure out whether it has to do with a subjective memory, perhaps some difference in diving between 2003 and 2007-2009, or if maybe Kohala actually is better than Kona as my experience suggests.

Kona is definitely better for Mantas, but if the board recommends it I might make the trek down to Kona from Kohala for a couple of day dives when I am there in July.

Hi,

I dove Kona about six years ago and have been diving Kohala about once or twice a year for the past two years since the resorts up there are better for my non-diving wife. I was surprised to find that I actually prefer Kohala relative to Kona based on my somewhat fading memory of Kona. I did about 12 dives in one week in Kona back in 2003 and have done about 25 dives in Kohala over the past two years.

I was just curious, do the people on the board prefer Kona relative to Kohala or is it just more convenient?

This is not a troll, I was OK with Kona when I went there in 2003, but I was pleasantly surprised with Kohala despite my low expectations when I went there in 2007. I am just trying to figure out whether it has to do with a subjective memory, perhaps some difference in diving between 2003 and 2007-2009, or if maybe Kohala actually is better than Kona as my experience suggests.

Kona is definitely better for Mantas, but if the board recommends it I might make the trek down to Kona from Kohala for a couple of day dives when I am there in July.

The vast majority of my dives have been in Kona. I have done a bit of diving in the Kohala area while installing and repairing the moorings up there. Granted, I was mostly concentrating on the mooring work...but you are right...there is definitely good diving up there. I would say that if you prefer to stay up there, then dive up there. But I certainly think it's worth doing a day or two of diving in Kona for variety. Perhaps you could do a 3-tank trip out of Kona and make a big request to head south to the Red Hill area or even further south.

For those who have not been diving on the Big Island before...but are staying in the Kohala area, I would certainly also recommend the manta dive.

Cozcharlie,

Mind you I'm biased because I live and work up here on the Kohala coast. Of course Kona of course has a variety of boats and dive ops to choose from... and mantas are hands down a must no matter how many times you visit. Honounou and 2Step are great shore dives/snorkels south of Kona. Given that the boat harbor in Kona is a drive from Kona hotels, I'm not sure that Kohala is any more or less convient to dive from.

But I really dig the diving up here. I think the reefs are a bit healthier, and the structure is more interesting as well. But that's me.

Kohala Divers' boat is rarely busy and hit the usual state moorings up here (Lava Dome, Black Point, Puako, Ulua Caverns etc...). They're super nice folks too.

If you want to shore dive with a guide check out North Hawaii Dive Adventures up in Hawi. Jeff is a one man operation that specializes in Kohala coast shore diving.

The other thing we've got up here is a white sand beach at Hapuna. The resorts Mauna Kea and Hapuna Prince are both directly on one of the few white sand beaches around. So if you prefer a quiet resort and want to get away from the noisy Kona scene... and you travel with non divers... plopping them on the beach is always a safe bet while you go blow bubbles.

If you have more Kohala questions feel free to send me a PM.

-Eric

Hi,

I do find myself diving in Puako or Mahukona (both considered in the "Kohala" district) more frequently than in Kona simply because it is a shorter drive from Hilo.

There are differences between the two areas, and I feel that Kohala is "the road less traveled" compared to Kona. I really enjoy them both (Kona and Kohala) for shore dives....

But honestly I only make that drive (to Kohala spots) when the weather doesn't permit diving in Hilo :D West Hawaii has the viz, no doubt about it... but we got the fish & turtles :wink:

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom