Mentoring approach to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dived with my dm's initially. got introduced at breakwater (san carlos beach) to more experienced divers who didn't mind newbies tagging along. then settled with a quasi permanent dive buddy who has way more recreational dive experience than me, and is open to giving tips (guess he wasn't too hung up about the liability issue, real or otherwise).

and when our schedules don't synch up, i started to dive with other folks, some who took OW at about the same time that i did.

a year later, my wife got her OW cert. we dove threesome. and when my buddy is out, i would buddy my wife, and went from the more dependent buddy, to one who has to be more independent by virtue of dive experience.

it was great to have someone 'show me the ropes' as i acquired more familiarity with my dive skills.

now my wife and i sometimes dive with different buddies (one of us needs to mind the kids during dive vacations :) but both of us has learned to be more cautious especially when diving with strangers (haven't seen them dive so have to assume that maybe, just maybe you're really solo diving after all).

hope this helps.

to talk about my Venture Crew! As an instructor, I get all sorts who want to be certified. Most of them just want to "do it" and are not making a real commitment. Well, my Venture Crew, The Mighty Scuba Ducks, is set up so differently from all of that. They join the Crew and are taught First Aid, CPR, Lifesaving, Knot Tying, etc, etc all the while doing dives with their peers... helping me as safety divers for the newbies. They are learning all about hyberbaric first aid right now (including O2 admin) and I just love it. I get to see real improvements from dive to dive, in fact I make it a point to find something good they did with every negative. They feel good and can improve.

My adults get a lot too! I am willing to take any adult that volunteers their time as far as they want to go... they just have to pay for the books and the actual cert. My time is free! Some of the local shops are ticked that I do all this gratis, but that's OK. Seeing these kids become serious divers is more than worth the flak.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
to everyone else in this serious thread - my apologies for the digression
no apologies are necessary because this is a serious issue. Too many folk do not appreciate the value of a good meal... and the teaching that can take place while eating it after the dive.

Of course my dining preferences are a digression but even that can be instructive for those with ears to hear.

We were lucky enough to have an OW instructor and a DM (her boyfriend) who encouraged us to dive with them any time. I'm sure we would have continued diving anyway but that first year of diving with experienced divers made all the difference in our comfort level. Our decision to become DM's ourselves were influenced by our experiences with DM's who had taken the time to help us continue our experiences and all the help they gave us.

We both really enjoy divemastering, especially new students, but my favorite time is spent mentoring divers. As Mike said, so many new divers don't feel secure enough to dive on their own and aren't sure where or how to find others to dive with. We welcome them to simply dive with us. We're happy to help with any problems they may have and answer any questions. I've found that most divers are thankful for tips to improve their diving. After they get comfortable and start noticing their surroundings, they see for themselves what bad finning techniques, bad positioning and dangling gauges can do. But our basic function is just to be there for them, providing a comfort zone while they get a bit more experience. We don't preach and we don't badmouth the training the got...or didn't get. We go forward from where they are and hopefully supply them with a fun and comfortable surrounding.

Unfortunately, at least in our area, the dive shops and dive clubs aren't a very good place to find dive buddies. In the two dive clubs I've been involved with, most of the members are vacation/cruise divers and wouldn't be caught dead in the local lakes. The dive shops may help you connect with the divers in your class but most don't have any sort of program to keep divers interested without pushing classes on them. Maybe that will change one day.

NetDoc - your kids sound wonderful! They (and the adults) are fortunate to have the opportunities you provide.

As for me - I was fortunate that my best friend is a DM and kindly and gently mentored after OW. As I told him, I don't care if you criticize, as long as you are will to help me correct & improve.

My husband and I also 'bribe' the instructors we know- a case of beer for each after courses, homemade cookies, sandwiches from the local deli if we stop in LDS after work to pick up gear. I always bring plenty of food along on dive days and make sure everyone is well fed. All our friends/DM's/instructors are very passionate about their diving, patiently answer my questions, very willing to allow us to dive along with them, provide much informal education & have helped us greatly. It's great to sit around at the end of the day with good food & friends & just listen....

But I don't know if I would want the concept formalized.

Jersey bubbled: My husband and I also 'bribe' the instructors we know- a case of beer for each after courses, homemade cookies, sandwiches from the local deli.

Ah the Gods have anwered my prayers.
The students from heaven to replace the usual crowd.

Darn, got wrong town.

Jersey, not thinking of moving to Canada are you? LOL

Mike D
:blfish

mddolson once bubbled...
Jersey bubbled: My husband and I also 'bribe' the instructors we know- a case of beer for each after courses, homemade cookies, sandwiches from the local deli.

Darn, got wrong town.

Mike D
:blfish
A case of beer....well where do I sign up...but on a more serious not, I do agree that "mentoring" is something that is very beneficial. When the advanced students are on a overnighter in the spring...I've been with them the past 3 years (first year as a student, second year as a master diver, and this year as a DM). The campfire at night after the day of dives is a great time to talk about skills that could be sharpened and honed. IT's also a good time to build friendships and offer past experiences. Anyway, long story short, mentoriing is very important and should be part of every divers career one way or the other.

mddolson once bubbled...

Darn, got wrong town.

MikeD - hardly students from heaven if you knew what I put my first instructor through!! Not planning a Northern relocation, mid-Atlantic diving is cold enough for me, don't know about that Great Lake stuff. But come on down here! We live 1 block from Marina, hit the Jersey wrecks, catch some tog, flounder and bugs. (Do ya get the idea I like to eat & eat well? Make an awesome Lobster Fra Diavlo) One catch - you would have to bring down some good Canadian beer. Haven't had any in a while.

Linda

Back
Top Bottom