Mental Illness and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, if that's your position. I am not an instuctor but from where I sit I don't see how you can make that call.

Because we are qualified to asses a person's mental capabilities to deal with the experience. Would a Phd be better qualified? If they have experienced similar conditions as we are training in, definitely.

You can take my course, pass the test and do all the skills flawlessly, but if I feel you are not ready mentally, you will not be doing checkouts till you are. If I can exercise such authority on a student who has paid and passed, I can certainly refuse to instruct someone I feel is not mentally capable of diving safely.

I've done it before and I wouldn't hesitate to refuse certs again. Fortunately, the two people I have refused to certify understood my motives and in the end, it was their decision and they expressed gratitude, rather than anger for my honesty.

We have a responsibility to deny instruction to people who are not mentally or physically capable.

WOW!!! I stumbled on this thread and took a while to read through it. A lot of good points were made and some not-so-good. Though I'm sure Estrella has already been on her vacation, I'd like to throw in my two cents for others who may have her condition and want to take up diving.

First, once I figured out that you were a vet with PTSD I knew a three day course in Hawaii was not for you. When you asked about muscle memory I knew what your mind-set was. I did fifteen years in the Army and was in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Though I was never diagnosed with PTSD, I was "edgy" for a couple years. After a while it subsided and I have no problems.

What you may want to do is find an experienced instructor who is a vet i.e. someone who you can relate to and can relate to you. You don't need SEAL type training, just someone who understands and will take the time to teach you. You definitely need private instruction or a small class and you should disclose your condition to the instructor before you start as well as a release from a doctor.

I know there is a medical patient/practitioner confidentiality rule. Contrary to iDoc's comments I think your instructor should be forewarned so he can anticipate any problems or, decide not to teach you at all if he's not comfortable with it. Don't worry, someone out there will teach you.

Ultimately, you should be comfortable with the instructor. The instructor will make you comfortable with the skills so you will be comfortable in the water. As an instructor, I have taught people with physical disabilities and non-swimmers. Since I teach in Korea, I'm not on a schedule like tourist areas such as Hawaii or Thailand are and can afford to take the time these students require. I'm sure in your area, you can find an instructor who will take the time you need.

I think Jim_Lap's comments are worth reading again. Personally, I see no reason why you shouldn't learn to dive if you can get the release. I'm not a doctor, but I think diving may help you to deal with your PTSD. Just my opinion.

One more thing, from a Vet to a Vet, thank you for your sacrifice in your service to our nation.

What you may want to do is find an experienced instructor who is a vet i.e. someone who you can relate to and can relate to you. You don't need SEAL type training, just someone who understands and will take the time to teach you. You definitely need private instruction or a small class and you should disclose your condition to the instructor before you start as well as a release from a doctor.

Ultimately, you should be comfortable with the instructor. The instructor will make you comfortable with the skills so you will be comfortable in the water. As an instructor, I have taught people with physical disabilities and non-swimmers. Since I teach in Korea, I'm not on a schedule like tourist areas such as Hawaii or Thailand are and can afford to take the time these students require. I'm sure in your area, you can find an instructor who will take the time you need.

I think you're underestimating the proliferation of vets (and active service members) who live on Oahu and teach scuba.

There are several dive shops that are on bases and cater to military people... and you may have better success with them than other operations elsewhere in the US.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Hijack removed!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I found this article in the Stars and Stripes news paper online version about a wounded warriors scuba program in Bamberg, Germany.

Wounded find new freedom in scuba classes | Stars and Stripes

For those of you who don't know about it, Stars and Stripes is a newspaper for servicemembers overseas. I'm not sure how long it's been around but I think it started in WW I. Could be wrong though. Anyway, enjoy.

DID is Dissociative identity disorder. It is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a condition in which a person displays multiple distinct personalities, each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment. It is an interesting disorder to deal with first hand.

Hi PullmanSCUBA,

A more complete description of DID can be found here:

Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder): Signs, Symptoms, Treatment

Actually, Estrela's descriptions sound very little like DID.

Regards,

DocVikingo

descriptions sound very little like DID.

Agreed.

Beyond that, there's no point in trying to guess someone's diagnosis over the internet. I'm trained and licensed, and there's not much chance I'd be able to do so accurately.

If the OP wanted us to know her diagnosis, she was free to tell us. The information provided was, in my view, sufficient to allow people to give appropriate feedback.

Thank you so much everyone for your input. I now have an approach to my son's use of medication, his sensory integration/sensitivity and neurological challenges with ADHD and OCD with regards to diving. Will start looking locally for an instructor I could talk to.
Fins up!
3dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom