Menstruation Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, this topic is about "menstruation". I saw the thing in "Women's Views" called "Menstration Safety" and I thought it was something diabolical, wicked or evil that women do to men. Oh wait, it is something diabolical...

During menstruation, diving does increase the risk of gettting an infection. The reason is because once you go deeper than 33ft/10m, the partial pressure increases. As the pressure increases, the water gets push into you virgina. If you are planning to dive in dirty water I wouldn't recommand. An other reason is during menstruation, maintain PH level is crutial. Try to clean yourself as soon as you get off the water and keep it dry. Personally, I use wet tissue( Playtex personal cleaning cloths) to clean it before I dry it.
Information from my OB Dr.

Mishelle:
I have with no issue, but I do have to say.... I find it rather
remarkable that most of the replies have come from men.... :06: LOL

hmmm... mishelle, up to that point, 4 women and 2 men had responded...
(the girls were alcina, debdiver, buiscuit7, and submariner)

so... count again :07:

Has anyone ever dove using a Diva cup or keeper? In general most people are pretty grossed out at the thought of these curious devices. From experience I can say they work great on dry land.

Roll back a few screens or search this forum, it was covered this past summer.

My wifes husband,
Pete

MargaretCostello:
Has anyone ever dove using a Diva cup or keeper? In general most people are pretty grossed out at the thought of these curious devices. From experience I can say they work great on dry land.
I've never tried one on land, nor seriously considered one. That being said, I'd like to mention a bit of a warning that was passed on to me by a woman who is trained in Chinese medicine. Her thought on them is that they are not a good device because of the suction involved. The reason she believes this is that when she used to use a diaphragm as a method of birth control, her doctor discovered a *hickey* while doing an internal exam. Apparently this was due to the suction created by the diaphragm. She went into more details about suction and blood flow and bruising, but I don't recall what they were; just that it didn't seem like a good thing.

Also...

Welcome to scubaboard, Margaret! (Seeing as this is your first post.)

I've been on my period during several dive trips and the only problemm is the pain of it all...but then it's a pain on dry land also. Now the theory of DCS due to dehydration is interesting, I'll have to ask my husband who works in hyperbarics about that one.

Suzanne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom