Men in gray suits in Norcal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a book out called "The Devils Teeth" by Susan Casey.I read it a few months back...She joined the researchers who are studying the Whites out there for a year.
Although somewhat controversial,it was a good read! I would recommend it! You become quite familiar with the resident sharks out there...There was also a passage about a fatal attack on a GW by a Killer Whale which instantly caused the other sharks to flee immediately! The true kings of the sea without dought!

That said...Im with Peter! Full report please Mark and Ren!

Drewpy:
There was also a passage about a fatal attack on a GW by a Killer Whale which instantly caused the other sharks to flee immediately!

"flee immediately" is an understatement. The other sharks left and didn't come back
that season.

It was an interesting book, esp. since I try to dive out there a couple of times a year.

Chuck

27 years diving and abbing north coast never seen one in the water but did see one from my inflateable at timber cove isaw something ithought was more rare a 7ft sturgeon at albion

So with the awakening of this old thread, has there been any new data on divers attacked while on SCUBA off of the California coast?

I've got over 1100 dives in Monterey, and maybe 15 at the Farallones, and I've never
seen a GW. I've seen Leopard sharks, an Angel Shark, and three Thresher Sharks (2
UW, one jumped clean out of the water while we were on the boat) and four or five
blues.

Very few of the divers who have been hit by a white saw it coming.

The more common definition of the Red Triangle is Ano Nuevo to the Farallones to
Pt. Reyes. It does not include Monterey or Stillwater (where the Scubaboarders are
going tomorrow).

Net: worry about drunk drivers and drivers on cell phones (one yacker damn near got
me driving home from Monterey this afternoon).

Just luck of the draw. In the 80's I used to dive for abalone comercially about 30 miles north of Monterey, and saw 3 in one month. Over the course of 4 seasons I saw a total of 6. Each time I took the rest of the day off.

Just luck of the draw. In the 80's I used to dive for abalone comercially about 30 miles north of Monterey, and saw 3 in one month. Over the course of 4 seasons I saw a total of 6. Each time I took the rest of the day off.

I guess Mr Sharky didn't get the memo that he's only allowed inside the "Red Triangle." :wink:

Although 30 miles north of Monterey is getting close.

We'd occasionally see one out by the Farralones when we had a commercial salmon license and some captains would carry shotguns and shoot them on sight, along with the sea lions who would mooch a meal or three.

The white sharks weren't protected then and were considered a nuisance by many.

Oh, and as an update, I think Chuck did see one from his boat recently.

There was also a report about some guys seeing one in Whalers cove..maybe a year ago? If I recall they posted some pics of the cove and drew red arrows were they were and where the shark was.It was out in the open in the channel and they were across on the other side..they made their way back to the ramp the long way around the cove instead of crossing the channel?It didnt seem to be too interested in them?

Anybody else remember that..?

I do recall Chucks sighting..some other boaters said it went right by them..when Chuck approached it was gone?

Chuck..??

This website is probably the most comprehensive "reporting" site on the net for West Coast shark info:

Pacific Coast Shark News

Just in case any of you are interested. Obviously it relies on the accuracy of the citizens that report the sightings

Steve

Cool site..Thanks for that!!

Someone saw a blue at PL! That would be cool!!

Man..no diving at San Onofre beach for me..lots of sightings there? Wonder why its so popular with the Landlord?

Back
Top Bottom