Memory Card Question DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orb56

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've just purchased a 16GB card for my DC800 (it was cheap) and was wondering if it will affect the speed of the camera. I thought I read somewhere here that with a 4GB card the camera will work quicker than with a 16GB card.

Can anyone comfirm this? I'm heading to Belize in a couple of weeks and looking forward to trying out my new camera with strobe.

Although we have tested up to 16GB cards in the DC800, I woul drecommend staying under 4GB. First, if you are going to try and put your whole trip on one card, this is dangerous in my opinion. If you were to loose the card or it malfunctions or gets destroyed, you never know, your whole trip is ruined. If you are traveling with a laptop, then a good idea is to download your pics each day. I like to travel with a few 1 or 2 GB cards but do travel with a laptop and download each day at least once.

As afr as speed is concerned, it really on comes into play as the card gets closer to capacity. The new SDHC cards are usually pretty fast anyways and I have yet to even fill up a 1 GB card.

Thanks Joe. I only bought the 16Gb card cause it was cheap. I intend on taking my laptop along to download after each dive if for no other reason than to analyse the pics for quality and composition. I think I will pick up another card anyways just in case the one I have fails for some reason. Its along way to get a newone from where I'm staying in Belize.

I Use the 4 GB cards they are just perfect. It allows me one hour of video, or more pictures then I could take in one dive. I have not even taken one hour of video. Another reason I like the 4 GB is because I can take a bunch of video, and pictures, surface interval, dive and take more. Without opening the camera and risking fog or moisture in the case. I remember when I first started using the 800 I would switch cards for each dive, and I would always get a foggy lens picture.

16GB, Wow, I could not even imagine. I thought 8 GB was pushing it. 16GB would give you over 3 hours of video, thats just insane.

For my 16 GB card I paid $20.00. Obviously that was a great sale price. I see in my shopping around now that I can't find a 4 GB card for that price. I'm off to pick up the 4 GB card (as a back-up) this wekend as I'm leaving for Belize next week. Yahooooo!

16 Gb for $20? Cool.

Meritline has 4 Gb starting at $9 delivered but you don't have time. They ship fast, but that's too tight. I keep an 8 Gb/$15.50 in my one camera that is SDHC capable; my others cannot accept larger than 2 Gb/$5.50. Gawd, I remember buying my first 128 Mb card for around $40 I think. In my lifetime, I've seen the first 5 Mb computer hard drive moved with a forklift and now we email pics that size. :silly:

Look! 32 Gb SDHC card: OEM BRAND 32GB SDHC CLASS 6 High Speed Flash Memory Card (32 GB SD Secure Digital High Capacity Card, MAKE IN JAPAN) BULK + iFLASH Logo USB 2.0 SDHC FLASH CARD READER/WRITER | Midwest Memory Outlet includes reader! Hehe my old reader won't work with HC cards either. That's larger than my first laptop HD. Jeeze.

I'm sure there is some variance in quality & speed, but the only card I ever had fail was a San Disk, and they were real jerks about authorizing warranty return.

I remember spending $1,000 for a 20 meg drive for my SE/30. It had 4 meg of memory. Why would I ever need more? My Mac at work has 1tb of storage and 11 gig of memory.

I use 2 of the 8gb cards when I am on a trip. I swap them out between trips out and have my laptop to back them up after the dives.

I don't know Macs at all, other than they are electronic machines - all of which fail or die usually without much warning. No computer should be without an External Hard Drive for weekly back-up copying, IMNOHO. Computers are for processing; Hard Drive storage should be trusted elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom