Membership Refund

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine the mess the board would be in if you had a dozen people in the code modifying it. You are better to limit access and appeal to the masses. People will never be happy. It is in their nature to be miserable :D. So you try to make the majority happy and accept that some will fall off the sides.

Also, that poster could have posted the solution in this thread. There is no need to create moderators with keys to the car when this is an open forum for all to discuss ideas. People may or may not like Howard or some other member of SB, but they still have the right to post solutions or ideas.

Not to modify code etc but to provide user assistance e with complete issues, ie I can't get the text box to work right on windows 8...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Do you remember when sb had "guides" to help new users? It would be similar to that structure no real reason mod powers outside of a particular forum...

Not to modify code etc but to provide user assistance e with complete issues, ie I can't get the text box to work right on windows 8...

You would need people with a very solid knowledge of vBulletin AND the hacks/mods that SB has in place. I still say that every user that "could be a guide" still has the right to help a fellow board member. If they need the new title of "Guide" (or whatever) to offer that help, then they are unlikely to help much anyway. At least that is my negative but likely realistic view of life :D.

Do you remember when sb had "guides" to help new users? It would be similar to that structure no real reason mod powers outside of a particular forum...

Guides? I thought they were shepherds! :rofl3:

For those who haven't seen the original thread, what got me upset was that I was just simply reporting the problem as an FYI. A third party person decided to jump in and debate me whether Windows 8 is "prerelease" software ( it is not... ) and then Howard jumped in with an attitude of "I'm not going to help you".

Sometimes it's the way people deliver a message not the message itself that causes the problem.

FWIW, based on past observations, I've long beleived that there should be more people providing support. I'm not at all inexperienced providing support considering that over on StackOverflow.com ( a developer to developer support forum ) I've racked up a reputation of 15,784 (top 2% of users) by answering 808 questions posted by other developers in areas that I'm an expert.

Oh, and I'm not chest thumping. Those are just the facts... :)

Apparently, it was the reply box deal. Fwiw, my post wasn't meant to shoot you down but just to point out you would be a bit above and beyond for a website manager to handle. I'm used to working on things in "debug" mode so I ignore the problems. For other comments, naw, it's not any better with touchscreen. Just limiting to us used to the old ways, but with more new ways to do the same thing. I find it very similar to Win 7 but with stuff reorganized. This version of Windows will be tougher because it has to straddle old and new. I did try desktop IE but same problem so bummer. I'm sure all software will go through an adjustment catching up to the new windows, along with your old hardware lacking drivers requiring a new round of hardware purchases, etc.

I'm talking about a different thread. Tigerman was the one that decided to jump in and set the stage for "no soup for you". :)

FWIW, I'm understand that MSFT is trying to bridge the mobile and desktop/laptop space and I personally don't like the way they have implemented the start menu. I think it would have been better to have a different metaphor for switching to the 'metro' side and hence I installed "Start8" and it's more usable to me.

I also think that Visual Studio 2012 looks like garbage but that's just me and alot of other developers but seemingly no one that works in Redmond. :(

It is [chestpounding] [/chestpounding] fyi ;-)

Last edited:
Understand the reason you got to this point and that you are trying to help others as well Got it. However, you are wrong that Windows is not pre-release. Very easy to prove. Microsoft does not provide support for it. Go to their support site and try to get Windows 8 support. There isn't any. It simply says "We’ve created some online forums where you can ask questions and get answers from other Release Preview testers and Microsoft support professionals. (We don't offer technical support for prerelease software, including Windows 8 Release Preview.) ". We're close, but no cigar yet.

Its actually his opinion that its NOT pre-release and others opinion that it IS thats the background for his entire complaint..

So were better off just leaving it alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom