Members Testing Anti-fog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it safe to put directly into the eyes? If not, it's not suitable for scuba diving..

When a mask gets water into it, the anti-fog will desolve into the mask water and get into the eyes...

themenz:
Full disclosure: We make an anti-fog called FogTech.

I know there are a lot of anti-fogs for diving out there. Some work, some don't and some don't work for long. There are also a lot of home brews such as toothpaste, baby shampoo, spit, shark snot (kidding).

Our product has not been promoted for diving as I thought it might not last long enough. FogTech is used for Paintball, Motorcycling, Biking, Hunting, and on industrial safety goggles. But recently a couple of divers have used FogTech with great success. They have also taken the time to email me and post their endorsements on the web. Like the Bay Area Bottom Timers http://bayareabt.org/dive_links.htm So now I think that FogTech could be good for fogging on dive masks too.

Before I promote this product for diving I would like to get 50 plus divers to try free samples in real world conditions and send me their results via email questionnaire. By doing that I can feel comfortable that it works under a variety of conditions, masks and divers. I can also report on limitations.

Please see messages below for directions on how to apply.

Randy43068:
Is it safe to put directly into the eyes? If not, it's not suitable for scuba diving..

When a mask gets water into it, the anti-fog will desolve into the mask water and get into the eyes...

Good question. I have been told by the distributor that the surfactant in FogTech is used in shampoos and skin lotions. While it is classified as an eye irritant, they told me the molecule is so large that they would be surprised if it bothered anyone.

So, I became a test gerbil. I applied FogTech to my mask then let a bit of water in. I rolled the water around until the glass was entirely washed. Then I tilted my head back until the water ran into my eyes. I did not get any irritation.

That was still not good enough.

Then I coated the inside of a large wine glass with FogTech three times letting it dry after each coating. I then put 5 cc of water into the glass, swished it around for a minute to cover the entire inside surface. I used an eye dropper to drop 4 drops directly into my eye and waited two minutes. Again, I did not get any irritation.

So I feel comfortable with the distributor's statements.

Also, I just got an order from a guy who uses it on his swim goggles. Says it works great and ordered 6 bottles.

Since I dive almost every weekend, and so do my friends, I'll have everyone try it. Good luck with the data.

themenz:
Good question. I have been told by the distributor that the surfactant in FogTech is used in shampoos and skin lotions. While it is classified as an eye irritant, they told me the molecule is so large that they would be surprised if it bothered anyone.

So, I became a test gerbil. I applied FogTech to my mask then let a bit of water in. I rolled the water around until the glass was entirely washed. Then I tilted my head back until the water ran into my eyes. I did not get any irritation.

That was still not good enough.

Then I coated the inside of a large wine glass with FogTech three times letting it dry after each coating. I then put 5 cc of water into the glass, swished it around for a minute to cover the entire inside surface. I used an eye dropper to drop 4 drops directly into my eye and waited two minutes. Again, I did not get any irritation.
Well, does this testing method strike anyone else as weird? I mean, there's got to be a smarter way to test a chemical to see if it's an irritant than to squirt in in your eye! :11:
Themenz, I would suggest not trying this experiment with other household chemicals. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom