Meet GHOST - revolutionary BCD Diving System !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you elaborate on the benefits of the "double crotch strap"? Not sure I understand what problem it's trying to solve.

First one that you will notice even wearing that setup before entering the water is way more comfortable since you have two straps going under your buttocks more on sides
then just one going through and squeezing your personal stuff in crotch :)

Second one is that backplate / wing and everything on it including tank is held in spread apart points not just one in the middle so it feels more stable when underwater.
You can notice how that improves a stability and appreciate it a lot when doing some roll ups etc ...

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 08:31 PM ----------

I'm also confused about the double crotch straps.
Did you have the lengthen the plate or shorten the waist strap to add the 2nd slots for the crotch straps?
What is the total length of the plate?
What is the distance from the top of the plate to the waist slots?

No, the plate is very similar in size like other average standard back plates

Can you elaborate on the benefits of the "double crotch strap"? Not sure I understand what problem it's trying to solve.

3-4 hours on a high powered DPV and I am sure you could answer this! lol

Why is the waist strap in the position it is? looks like it's up around the rib cage. And what problem does the mesh pads address? Never had a problem with any of my plates.

The cutouts also don't seem to have any function other than cosmetic. Which increases production costs with no real benefit to the diver. And the double crotch strap doesn't seem to solve anything but does add an extra strap that possibly would need to be dealt with in an emergency.

And the claim that it significantly reduces drag? As compared to what and why and how does it do that in a way that a BPW by any mfg does not?

And what is the specific aerospace alloy used?

What exactly is this "riding on your back" effect ?

I have never heard of it.

Waist strap is indeed a bit higher than other wing/BP sets but provides simple and effective solution.
Have you notice that plenty of manufactured BCD's have chest strap going from one across chest to opposite strap ?
They place it there to keep the straps together in stable position, that works sort of the same way but without that extra chest strap so its a bit more clean with no extra strap, pieces and other things.

MESH PADS - nothing else just a bit more comfort for warm water divers that dive thinner exposure protection and feel "more" through that. You can take them off if you want.

CUTOUTS - I can assure you that this is the smoothest true aerospace alloy grade and all the surfaces including the cutout edges are smooth and nothing alike you've seen so far, it looks in reality same good
as on the picture.

CUTOUTS BENEFIT - I'm extremely surprised that the experienced diver that you want to be seen as is actually asking that question ?! Let me answer with question for question, what to do with the backplate to lower its weight but still provide full size backplate and its benefits ? CUTOUTS ! You eliminate the weight significantly that's way the whole ready to dive system is ONLY 2.2 KG ! 5 LBS ! Imagine traveling with that system ? No hassling with extra weight luggage, extra airfare fees ? I have a lot of friends that used to have two systems, one diving "home" and different one for traveling or no travel one at all simply because it takes to much out of the allowed weight limit and space. Now you can have just one for both.

REDUCED DRAG - its all about the geometry, to understand we will have to put one wing on another brand ones for you to see what areas are shaved down, where is more and the structure of the wing itself, but that I will explain with some pictures in next episode :)

I will ask for detailed specs on aerospace used alloy, stay tuned.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

Thank you James ! Thats exactly what I'm talking about, I'm sure if he will ask diving friends and other guys about how comfortable the crotch strap really is there will not be a really lot of positives about it :)

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 08:53 PM ----------

Forgot about "riding on the back" stuff ... its simple, every (especially single tank) system will move more or less on your back when you roll over or dive in and other than regular fining moves,
by adding additional and spreading them widely apart webbing attachment points we increased a lot stability of the system on a diver.

Done.

OP's gonna have to add a crotch d-ring then... which by the look of it, will be located right around your belly button!

OP's gonna have to add a crotch d-ring then... which by the look of it, will be located right around your belly button!

lol true! While I know I would not shell out $800 for this, as I rarely single tank dive, and even rarer so back mount dive, I would love to try it. The design intriques me, and having seen their other products I know the quality would be there.

lol true! While I know I would not shell out $800 for this, as I rarely single tank dive, and even rarer so back mount dive, I would love to try it. The design intriques me, and having seen their other products I know the quality would be there.

I understand that it might be to pricey for some wallets but doesn't mean that its not worth it ... look at Zeagle or Halcyon single tank systems they range from 700 up to 1000+ (especially Zeagle) and you (me for sure) see them quite often. It's simple, you get what you pay for (in most cases).

---------- Post added June 10th, 2013 at 02:12 PM ----------

I was going to hit the link until I read your post.

---------- Post added June 8th, 2013 at 07:06 PM ----------

Something similar for a bit over $200.

You're joking right ? The product you have pointed is actually everything we didn't wanted in ours.

From a little rock climbing experience, I think the "double crotch strap" is in the wrong direction. If anything, it should be two point in front and one point at the back.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2013 at 06:51 PM ----------

I think the ultimate reason prevent people from trying it is the $800 price tag. Weight saving is very meaningless because most single tank divers, even in tropic condition, no suit or 3mm, end up using SS plate just to increase weight, especially with AL80. In colder water, people even use bolt on weight. So less weight isn't better. "Industructable blader" is nice, but so as Oxycheq, DiveRite, Halcyon, DSS, HOG .... All are pretty tough too. I highly double it will be tougher than a Oxycheq wing. These two so call benefit do NOT appeal to most people in a pratical way.

$800 is above what H will sell their Eclipse setup. With H, at least you get the jewel like finish hardware, blue H to show off, and pretty good 2nd hand value. If I plan to spend this much, how will you convince me to get this but not H.

You're joking right ? The product you have pointed is actually everything we didn't wanted in ours.

No, I am serious. So you didn't want a bladderless wing? You didn't want a lightweight non-standard backplate? You didn't want lightweight pads? It seems your product and their product are very similar. Perhaps yours is excuted better but at the price your asking it should be. If you stripped the Icaro of the metal hardware and replaced it with plastic it would probably weight less than your product. It looks like the plate could take a standard 1 piece harness.

Personally, I do not understand why you feel a diver needs this over a traditional wing with an aluminum, kydex or fabric plate. The weight savings are not significant.

2.2KG is fairly impressive but it's not that hard to get close.

My homemade travel bpw setup, fully configured to dive weighs 2.5KG, and that's including light buckle, knife etc.

Back
Top Bottom