Meet George Jetson!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..........can't help but dislike the sooty tech divers. They are the only group in general I have met in the diving community I cannot stand. They are ignorant. This board at the very least showed some respect to Ben regarding his invention. The negative comment to him was polite and instructive in nature, not destructive as was the other board.

Congrats on your JetBoots, Ben hopefully someday we can get them affordable for all, but have to start somewhere, right??

Butch :peace:

The response from several members of the tech list was brutal at first, as it is with pretty much anything new introduced on that list. There was a decent amount of back and forth after those initial messages in which I think I made it clear to most of the list that Jetboots are a serious product. Some of the guys on that list really get their jollies out of vitriol, but I had private and on list conversations with a lot of them and I think I brought some around.

>In my opinion it has little practical utility and is >fraught full of potential failure points. When an >alternative is available that will outperform its intended >function and will do it in a less expensive manner it kind >of makes this item an expensive toy. So in the final cost >benefit evaluation it is a failure.

There are new failure points, but Jetboots eliminate some of the old failure points as well. For example, you can disconnect and if needed ditch the battery pack under water - you can't do this with a scooter. This means that the worst failure mode should be limited to losing Jetboots propulsion. Since you are wearing fins anyway this will only present a real problem in an overhead enviorment. In this case you should have a backup anyway.

>Just because it is a new idea or invention does not mean >that it is a viable product or even a good idea.

You are right. However, Jetboots do have some unique advantages. They are hands free. They are around 1/2 the weight of a scooter with comparable power and battery life (like the apollo av-1), and if you consider the negative bouyancy of the system they are even better in the weight department. There are others - check the FAQ section of our website.

Whoever said you ascend by swimming, you are of course correct. I meant that the person should use their BC to maintain neutral bouyancy and shouldn't use the thrust of Jetboots to overcome their negative bouyancy.

Ben Mazin
President, MST
http://www.jetboots.com/

While the Tony Maffatone comment may sound cruel on the face of it, it may be an accurate assessment of the lethal potential of the Jet Boots. Mr. Maffatones Rube Goldberg contraption had an inherent design flaw that caused him to turtle when he breathed one tank empty and lead to his death.

It only takes a 2 to 3 psi change in lung pressure to cause an over inflation of the lungs, or arterial gas embolism, which can be fatal. Depths in swimming pools are sufficient to cause gas embolism if the swimmer has access to a source of air and takes even a single breath underwater and then ascends to the surface. As every diver should be aware of, air inspired at any depth expands during ascent and, if not allowed to escape freely, over inflates the lungs and elevates alveolar pressure, potentially resulting in the escape of gas into pulmonary veins. If the gas reaches the carotid arteries, embolization of cerebral vessels is almost inevitable.

What does this have to do with Jet Boots? If an untrained or inexperienced diver using these has a minor run away that results in a rapid ascent it could kill them. This has happened with experienced and trained divers with scooters. I think that a rigorous training course should be a part of the sales package to address this possibility.

omar

Omar, you are of course correct in saying that rapid changes in depth are dangerous to divers. Jetboots, if anything, have an advantage in this area over scooters since with a little training they are very manueverable. This is spelled out in the instruction manual and we enclose a video demonstration with the units. I think this is more than the scooter manufacturers do. Jetboots do take a little practice and we strongly recommend that you have good bouyancy control before you use them, and also that you spend a couple of hours in a pool before you strike out into the ocean or other unpredictable enviornment.

Ben Mazin

Ben, welcome to scubaboard. I think you will find your stay here a nice one. I really like the idea of the jet boots and think the idea is sound. I just wish there was some way of making the things cheaper without making you go bankrupt. If I could afford a pair, I would certainly buy a pair.
Scott

I must admit that after browsing through the site I pictured me wearing a set, getting excited about something I saw, crankin' those babies up & ending up in Cuba by accident! My dive buddy shaking his head back & forth the entire time wondering; "When will she realize she’s passed the boat by a mile?”

...Sorry for the interruption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom