Medical Question, New Diver, 1st day...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My GF wants to start diving, but has had asthma for the past 10 years. She keeps it under control and we think that she will do fine diving, however, my medical training is limited to combat medic. When I took my instructor's course, the dive center provided a great doctor's recommendation who includes dive medicine as one of his specialties (not all doctors understand dive medicine). We will be working with this doctor and hopefully get my GF diving safely.

My point is you can check with several dive shops in your area and see if they can recommend a good dive doctor or two. DAN also gave us a few recommendations and our doctor was on thier list also.

Diving should be safe and fun...

Good luck and happy bubbles...

~Oldbear~

It is unfortunate that you posted in Diving Medicine. Try re-posting in Basic Scuba Discussions: Basic Scuba Discussions ...//...

I didn't say that correctly, did I? :shocked2:

What I meant to say was: If you ALSO post in Basic Scuba Discussions, others can contribute to the discussion.

...//... DAN is generally great at being responsive and giving good advice.

No change, there.

...//... Hopefully the OP got as good an answer here as he/she would have in Basic Scuba. We aim to please you know!

I deserved that. :D I'm sure that the OP did get his/her best answer.

@ OP: Look to this forum for medical advice and in Basic Discussions for every other unlikely possibility. Might have been interesting, but I don't do medical advice...

Is there a listing of local physicians and ER centers that maintain a higher than normal knowledge of diving out there?

Richmond, VA is pretty short drive from us. We'd be glad to see you in clinic. There are also a couple of places in Norfolk.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2013 at 08:38 AM ----------

I didn't say that correctly, did I? :shocked2:

What I meant to say was: If you ALSO post in Basic Scuba Discussions, others can contribute to the discussion.

No change, there.

I deserved that. :D I'm sure that the OP did get his/her best answer.

@ OP: Look to this forum for medical advice and in Basic Discussions for every other unlikely possibility. Might have been interesting, but I don't do medical advice...

All in good fun :)

Richmond, VA is pretty short drive from us. We'd be glad to see you in clinic...

From what I have read and seen Duke Dive Medicine is a Mega-Super Star dive medical community. I would take them up on their offer in a heartbeat...or faster :)

Good luck and happy bubbles.

No worries. xray came back normal. No sign of anything. Right now I'm going to agree that it is muscular from the fact that while I do work out, I don't swim laps. Also this experience gave me the chance to discover that my GP is a diver and he immediately understood everything I was talking about and wrote the order for the xray. I was in xray 20 min later.

Thanks for the help from the community!

Back
Top Bottom