Medical O2 regulator to DIN adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there an adapter that would allow me to connect medical O2 regulator to a scuba tank with DIN (or yoke) tank?

I don't want to purchase separate tank for emergencies.

Why not just use an O2 clean/compatible scuba reg instead of a medical reg?

Recomended best reg for a dive first aid kit is a demand valve that delivers 100%, that describes a scuba reg.

Medical regs use a pin indexing safety system to ensure the wrong reg can't go on the wrong bottle, trying to adapt to something else would likely take some creative retrofitting.

You can't use scuba reg when you need constant O2 flow while providing CPR.

A kludgey, but possible alternative would be to figure a way to mate the tubing that you'd connect to your resuscitation mask to your scuba cylinder valve and use your valve to approximate the 15L/min flow. Wouldn't help with multi-victim scenarios, though.

If the patient is in cardiac arrest, he is also in respiratory arrest.
Current CPR protocols have eliminated rescue breathing.
In a dive accident requiring CPR the prognosis is already very poor, and O2 or not is unlikely to change it.

However if one is in respiratory arrest it is not necessary in cardiac arrest, correct? You might need to provide pulmonary support and you can't with scuba reg.

My understanding is that part of the reasoning for removing rescue breathing from training for lay providers is that there is some exchange of gas during chest compressions as the intra-thoracic pressure changes. Although the odds may be against a victim in cardiac and/or (usually and) respiratory arrest, they are not zero. Were I the victim, I'd appreciate any and all reasoned efforts, even if not highly likely to help. Oxygen wouldn't hurt and just might help.

We are specifically talking about dive emergencies. Providing respiratory assistance helps victims of DCI. Higher O2 levels help more.

Thus I am interested in a way to attach medical regulator to scuba valve. So I don't need to carry extra tank.

Rest of the conversation should be discussed somewhere else.

Adults are rarely in respiratory arrest and not cardiac arrest.

However, there are little regs used for analyzers that have an adjustable dial on them that increases or decreases flow rate, and they have a fitting that mates with oxygen tubing.

Analox DIN Flow Restrictor with Pressure Release

In any case, oxygen administered with a regular scuba reg is your best bet for getting high concentration o2 to a DCS patient. Unfortunately, in the case of cardiac arrest, the only real treatment is defibrillation. Perform CPR as best you can and get EMS on scene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom