Medical Demand Regulator (NDL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings,

This is long shot, but my aunt is in need of a demand style medical regulator -- she has emphzyma and no insurance. We have found some, but they are inexcess of $500. I suspect the medical world to be even worse than the diving world in terms of markup and stuff. Does anyone know if there is a place to buy a generic (new or used) demand regulator for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Mike

Thanks Joel. I have forwarded that site to her.

Thanks.

Mike

I think that's a bingo, Randy! I'm sending that one to her as well. All she needs is the regulator.

Perfect! Thanks.

Mike

At risk of treading on a few toes of my colleagues in the US may I give a bit of general medical advice here?

I am not at all sure that your aunt has any need of this type of device at all. If she suffers from emphysema she will probably require increasingly longish periods of oxygen supplimentation. This is not in any way the same as the needs of EMTs and doctors when treating diving or other casulaties, when 100% inspired oxygen is needed.

Because of its effects on the respiratory drive in those patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, high concentrations of oxygen can be harmful, paradoxically causing respiratory failure in some patients over time.

Unless, of course, she intends to have this device for emergency use I suspect what your aunt really needs is an oxygen concentrator with a simple mask system to give her up to 28% inspired oxygen plumbed to a number of outlets in her home.

This is also far cheaper to run.

I wouldn't want to see anyone wasting their money.

(This posting does not constitute any form of medical advice to any particular patient and is a general opinion, freely given.)

kind regards,

I agree with the Doc. as I'm a Respiratory Therapist and have been involved in Home Care Services. I am wondering if someone is prescribing I.P.P.B. (intermittent pos. press. breathing) which is a valid resp. tx. This is not used much anymore and aerosol or Puffers(mdi) are used. If O2 is required a nasal cannula with Concentrator or more exp. Liquid systems are the norm. This is also MY opinion and not medical prescript.

Good Luck, stay wet,
chuckrt

Geez guys, I don't know. She's in Arizona and I was just asked to find this thing. I'm pretty certain she has emphazyma from years of smoking. When I've seen her, she has an O2 bottle or this machine that makes O2, I think. She wears a hose that is about 30' long and the things that go into her nose. Perhaps she's not on pure O2, I really don't know I guess. I'll find out.

Thanks a lot.

Mike

Mike,

I sounds like you aunt has the typical domiciliary set-up where nearly pure oxygen is supplied to her via a mask and diluted by entrained air, when she breaths in, to get between 24% and 28% Oxygen. This is supplied either from a large cylinder, from liquid Oxygen in a Dewar or from the atmosphere by means of a concentrator. All very wastful.

Cylinders are the most expensive option.

When you breath by means of a DV no air (or water!) gets into the respiratory system so you breath what's in the tank.

What your aunt may be asking about is a portable oxygen device she can take with her when she leaves the house for a few puffs now and again when she becomes breathless. Of course, I do not know what the market is like in the 'States, but I do know of two devices available in England that may be adaptable to carry Oxygen.

The British firm Apex do a stage set-up M18 that combines cylinder valve and first stage combined with a normal second stage, is O2 compatible and can be fitted to a 0.4 l cylinder but is really only uselful in a car. I know this system works because I use one on a 3 litre bottle for one of my stage cylinders.

http://www.apeks.co.uk/apekshome.htm

Of course there is also Spareair, which is designed as a secondary air source for diving. Personally, I do not think the latter is much good for diving because it's capacity is so small but if it can be made O2 compatible it could be just what your aunt needs.

www.spareair.com

You will, of course understand these are not registered medical devices and may only be used for their intended purpose.

Hope this helps.:)

By the way, I need a new DV for my medical kit (DV and free flow to 25 l/min) and I am having considerable difficulty in finding a decent ditributor in the UK.

Can anyone help?

OK it seems your aunt is already hooked up with appropriate home O2 and is using a home care provider. I think what you might be asking for is a Conserver for portable O2 tanks. This device works by allowing O2 to the pt. only when the pt. initiates a breath and it does have a clicking sound that you might confuse witha demand system but this device uses no positive pressure. This unit will allow 2-3 times the time. A normal D cyl at 3000lbs at 2L per min will last 2-2.5hrs and an Ecyl will last at 5hrs. without the conserver. Most large homecare companies can supply her with this from stock or get one for her and should not charge her any extra.

Good Luck and I hope this helps

chuckrt

Back
Top Bottom