Me or the reg or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSea:
There was a report of this happening when someone checked another's ait to see if it was turned on. Instead of opening the valve (which I'm assuming was already open), they closed the valve & gave it half a turn open.

That was my reg. But I didn't notice it breathing hard. It just stopped working at 60 feet.

Thank you to all who responded with your insight. Many of you have more experience, dives and equipment knowledge than I do which adds credibility to your responses.
To clarify some of your questions:
As always, I doublecheck the tank valve & mouth test both 2nd stages before a dive even if DM had already opened it.
I have a Brut & magnum which work just fine but the rental was a Mares that looked in good condition at least on the outside.
Could the 1st stage spring have only partially opened mimicing a partal closed valve?
Could I have just hit the purge when I wanted to breath to overcome the lack of air volume perceived or otherwise?
No Devils Throat but the area next to (south?) it. Max depth was <100.
Noticed problem starting at about 60'
I was relaxed not puffing and just floating down when I noticed that I had to "Suck" to get air which raised my anxiety level making me want to breath harder so I just forced myself to calm down and relax again and think about something else or I would have aborted.
Had about 8 more dives that week on the same reg some at the same or greater depth without any problem even though I was half expecting it.
I guess I should have tried my buddies octo to answer my original question.
I am old but in good shape and have done a fair amount of rec diving in many of the usual places. This dive was like in an aquarium and did not have the things that get my heart pumping like bad vis, big current, overhead, kelp, night, cold, etc.

Other than a almost completly blocked filter there is nothing that would cause a Mares reg. to do what you describe.

When we dive Punta Sur South, the DM swims a pretty fast clip to the reef to keep the time at depth reasonable. You hadn't dived in 6 months and you're using an unfamiliar reg and it seems like it was just a transient thing. Hope you had an otherwise fun trip. :)

Ronski- I think it most likely was not the reg. As Cerich posted It would be highly unlikely a Mares regulator acted in this fashion; particularly if you continued to dive it after the 1st dive and it worked well afterwards. My experience as a live aboard dive boat operator is the problem was either you being a little nervous or it was the tank valve not open all the way. I've seen this countless times. The diver is either anxious due to a long layover since their last dive, or the valve wasn't completely open. I've seen numerous tank valve handles stripped, or the valve stem not opening all the way because it was slightly stripped and appeared to be turning but was not. I do give you kudos for handling it well, I've seen many that have not.

I also think Cerichs question re: Sherwood is completely valid, simply because as he stated, their are so many Sherwoods in rental in the Carribean and Mexico.

DandyDon Diving the first dive on a trip, the first in 6 months, to that depth doesn't seem like a good idea. An operator that would take you there doesn't sound like as good of an op as one who would require a check-out dive first. Additionally, all that on a rental reg is foolish to me. I don't know your dive experience ronski101 (you can put that in your profile now, it's fixed), but I suggest every diver should own his/her own reg.

Don, like I mentioned above; I ran the Truth Aquatics boats around the Channel Islands for many many years. 35 new people every trip for 2-5 day adventures, apprx 300 days a year, plus throw in countless 1 day trips. Their was always an expectation to dive deeper in the morning and gradually work shallower throughout the day. Sometimes those morning dives were quite challenging and had potential for great depths. To be a successful operation it is impossible to cater to the weakest link on every dive. I feel to be great operator it is important to offer these types of dives, inform everyone of the challenges, and also assure all divers needs are met over the course of the trip or day of diving. It is the responsibility of the diver to judge his or her own skill level and determine on their own whether they should make the dive. I also agree with you about owning equipment. This is a good example of why so many on this board are advocates of having your own. Just my .02 cents.

I have a Brut & magnum which work just fine but the rental was a Mares that looked in good condition at least on the outside.
:confused: You own a reg that you know and trust, and you didn't take it?:11: Maybe it wasn't the reg, but I take both of mine of every dive trip. I like to know my reg, my Technician, and in the past - his entire family. Dangit, he quit.

Zak OHara:
Don, like I mentioned above; I ran the Truth Aquatics boats around the Channel Islands for many many years. 35 new people every trip for 2-5 day adventures, apprx 300 days a year, plus throw in countless 1 day trips. Their was always an expectation to dive deeper in the morning and gradually work shallower throughout the day. Sometimes those morning dives were quite challenging and had potential for great depths. To be a successful operation it is impossible to cater to the weakest link on every dive. I feel to be great operator it is important to offer these types of dives, inform everyone of the challenges, and also assure all divers needs are met over the course of the trip or day of diving. It is the responsibility of the diver to judge his or her own skill level and determine on their own whether they should make the dive. I also agree with you about owning equipment. This is a good example of why so many on this board are advocates of having your own. Just my .02 cents.
Yeah, I know. Lots of differences, tho. Things are usually tighter diving off of US boats than those in Cozumel. There are some tight Ops in Coz, but my general opinion of the overall offering - loose.

And the Coz boats are often much smaller, with many Ops having multiple boats, so vacations divers can be checked on more closely the first day. Loose that I may think they are, they do have more of that possibility.

Well, glad there were no injuries or losses, and hope there was something learned here and there in the thread.

thank you..

Hi. I don't have the knowhow to analyze what could have happened equipment-wise. Whether or not this was equipment-related, I just want to add that you did extremely well, by forcing your self to calm down and letting this subside.
I was in a similar situation in Cozumel 2 weeks ago, in Palancar Gardens at 80ft, except it was my 5th day of diving in Cozumel and I was struggling against the current to photograph a large turtle. Felt like my reg couldn't deliver enough air and I had to fight the urge to panic/surface immediately. I've since become more careful and monitor how much stress I put myself in UW, both mentally and physically.
Dive safely.

I figured it was a Sherwood reg also. I had one do that same thing to me only I was at 40-50 when it started. As soon as I noticed it I switched to my Octo that was also a Sherwood and did the same thing.(Sherwood first stage also) Signaled my buddy, grabbed his octo and went back to the surface. Switched regs and didnt have another problem. Another guy then checked the reg on his tank, did the same thing for a minute then started breathing just fine. Took that one in to have it serviced and hasnt been any problem since with it.

Well, the general concensus is it was me and not the reg. I am more enclined to think it was 20% reg and 80% me. I must have looked like a trunk fish trying to get air out of that thing. By the way, I am not bashing any particular brand of reg. They are all good with some better in some areas than others. If they were bad, they would not be in business considering the importance of their function.
I guess the only cure is for me to dive more. Planning a Fiji trip in Nov. now.
The reason I didn't have my own reg was I had lent it to the wife.
Truth Aquatics, now that brings back memories back in the 70's jumping off that high bow in Jan for abs and lobster. I had an AMF Voit reg, Nemrod BC then and before that a double hose. That was a well run operation and really enjoyed those trips to Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, etc.
Have fun and dive safe.....

aaaahhhh Fiji....loved my dives there.....have fun!

Back
Top Bottom