maybe a lame question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a Pelican box that I pack all my camera, stobe, lenses in when I travel to places pretty far way involving plane changes, etc. I check the Pelican box. This woman I perceived as very a very experienced photographer looked at me like she was going to have a stroke when hearing that I check all this stuff. She said the baggage department is no place for digital lenses because of temperature and pressure. There is no way I could lug all this stuff into the cabin since I have packing issues as it is....Should I change my ways?

catherine96821:
I have a Pelican box that I pack all my camera, stobe, lenses in when I travel to places pretty far way involving plane changes, etc. I check the Pelican box. This woman I perceived as very a very experienced photographer looked at me like she was going to have a stroke when hearing that I check all this stuff. She said the baggage department is no place for digital lenses because of temperature and pressure. There is no way I could lug all this stuff into the cabin since I have packing issues as it is....Should I change my ways?

And it has not been stolen yet? You seem lucky. I do hope you have good insurance on it all.
David

You are lucky indeed. There are plenty of reports of photo gear being stolen when they are checked. And Pelican cases are like magnets for thieves, they know you are transporting something valuable. What I do is carry the camera and housing with me inside a regular roller carry-on bag. The strobes go in a regular (non-pelican) suit case with my clothes and dive gear. I do 4-6 travels per year and never had a problem.

Rocha:
You are lucky indeed. There are plenty of reports of photo gear being stolen when they are checked. And Pelican cases are like magnets for thieves

Good point about the Pelican box. But what do you do with the housing? Mine is too big to fit in a carry-on. I do have insurance. I might try and use the roller-bag this time. I just saw some great padded back-packs for camera stuff with compartments for lenses, etc. I was wondering if depressurized cabins ruin the digital electronics.

catherine96821:
But what do you do with the housing? Mine is too big to fit in a carry-on.

What housing do you have? Mine is big too (Subal for D2x) and it fist nicely into my carry-on. Have you tried removing the tray and handles? If there is no way and it doesn't fit I would still avoid Pelican cases. I heard about 5, yes, five housings being stolen from Pelican or Storm cases in the last 10 months. Insurance is a big plus, I have it too. I have one of those Samsonites with the hard sides, they are not as strong as the Pelicans but look like a regular suitcase, and that's where I carry my strobes.

Ikelite. Yea, I guess the theft probabilty is sinking in. I guess I bought the Pelican for nothing. Maybe I could pack my toiletries and hairdryer in the Pelican. Kidding. Kind of.

Hi Catherine, try removing the tray and handles, I think it will fit in your carry-on. You can still use your pelican for the strobes and other stuff, I just wouldn't put the camera/housing in there. If this is of any confort, all of the problems with stolen housings that I saw were in the Caribbean. BTW, I will probably be diving with you next year, I will move to Hawaii next november.

Luiz

catherine96821:
I was wondering if depressurized cabins ruin the digital electronics.
I hope not, planes are full of depressurized electronics :)

I wouldn't think that the pressure would hurt lenses either, most of them are sealed and some are pressurized internally with nitrogen to keep the condensation/dust out. And if your luggage is in the hold with the big dogs and flowers, it's pressurized - and temperature controlled.

My bigger concern, especially in this post-TSA world is security of the case. I used to have my bags looked at at check-in and then locked them securely, now since you can't do that, I carry my stuff whenever possible in a roller bag. And don't even start with the TSA-approved locks, if they don't get mangled/cut-off by the TSA, it's just another flag for potential thieves.

I don't like the idea of screaming "expensive electronics being protected in here" with a Pelican(or Halliburton) case. But I have video equipment and it packs nicer.

Although I did meet someone once with one of those bright yellow Sony housing cases, when I asked him if he worried about checking it, he asked: Should he be?

More than the cost/hassle of the replacement, I'd be really pi**ed if my stuff was taken outbound. The last couple of years we've been to places we won't be returning to soon, if ever.

Rocha:
Hi Catherine, try removing the tray and handles, I think it will fit in your carry-on. You can still use your pelican for the strobes and other stuff, I just wouldn't put the camera/housing in there. If this is of any confort, all of the problems with stolen housings that I saw were in the Caribbean. BTW, I will probably be diving with you next year, I will move to Hawaii next november.

Luiz

Your photography rocks, pretty cool stuff. Your website is rather spiffy also.
So, I will PM you and ask you about why you are moving to Hawaii. No kidding your photography is stellar, but then again I guess that is why you are working for The Smithsonian. Just as long as you realize you are living the dream!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom