maybe a lame question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjspeck:
I hope not, planes are....

Okay, that was a very imformative answer, thank-you. Don't know why I am fixated on the baggage department.

A flight attendant said to me that they do not heat or pressurize the baggage department unless the pilot is made aware that there are live animals (like my dog) in there. She said they were unaware of a dog once and, lets say, it was most unfortunate. She said these are the new fuel conservation procedures. I am definetly re-thinking my Palau procedure, thanks guys.

I have a pelican case too. My husband and I pack our strobes and housings (mine = photography, his = video) in the pelican and carry on the cameras. So far, no problems and we do have insurance. On our last trip to Bonaire, one of the clasps on the pelican was completely ripped off and one of the TSA locks was missing when we arrived in Bonaire. On the way home, we had to pick up our luggage in Puerto Rico and re-check it and noticed that another clasp was torn off and another of the TSA locks was missing. On arrival in California, the last remaining TSA lock was gone. Nothing was missing from the case though.

One note regarding carry-ons. On our last trip to the Philippines, the carry-on restriction was one bag (not one bag and one personal item like a purse...one bag only!), no heavier than 15 pounds...and they weighed all the carry-on bags as we were walking down the jetway. We were with a group of 30 people or so and most everyone had to repack their carry-ons and/or just ended up checking them and carrying on their cameras or laptop loose with no luggage. It was a real pain. And a 16 hour flight with no jammies, toothbrush or hairbrush was not fun.

Jeni

Folks,

This question pops up over and over again. Let's take it one at a time:

(1) The pressure in the baggage compartment is exactly, I say again, EXACTLY the same as where you are sitting. Yes, that's right. EXACTLY THE SAME. It is the same where your bags are in the luggage compartment over your head, as it is in your lap, as it is in the cargo area right below your feet.

The hull is a tube, but the floor is not a pressure bulkhead. It is simply a lightweight structure for the seats to be mounted on.

The pressure is lower than it is at sea level, but well within tolerance for you, your bebe's, little old granny ladies, and your precious camera! (Unless you are flying too soon with your hair wet after diving, like MHK thinks you should, and then your veins are going to pop out of your head! :11: But that's another story, kids!)

(2) Now airflow, and consequently temperature maintenance, is a different story. Obviously, air FLOW is not as good as it is in the upper areas of the cabin. Why? Because you have "stuff" piled up everywhere. Since the air flows out of the overhead vents, down over you, through the sidewall vents at your feet, and down into the cargo area, where all of your "stuff" is piled up, the flow is just not as good down there!

It does not, I repeat, NOT get cold enough under normal circumstances to freeze Fluffy into a dog-sicle! It is cooler, sometimes even downright chilly, but not life threatening.

The procedures for carriage of live animals dictate that the rampies leave space around the cages of live animals for better airflow and temperature control. Most modern jet aircraft have cargo area heaters which must be on if live animals are being carried. Again, even if they are left off, your gear will not reach Arctic temperatures, by any means.

No matter what your friend the flight attendant says, leaving the cargo area heater either on or off will not affect the cost to the company of that particular flight. The system is, in almost all cases, just a valve that ports a little more warm air to that area.

Now, leaving an airconditioning pack off will definitely affect the cost of the flight. If we leave a pack off for "fuel economy", we have to fly at a much lower altitude. The engines are not as efficient, we chew up a LOT more fuel, and the fuel economy stats for that flight go down the dumper! Why in Hell would we want to do THAT??? I assure you that if a captain regularly turned off a pack, and flew at lower altitudes, he would soon be standing in front of the Jefe de Piloto's desk, being yelled at!!! :11:

Take it from me, folks, that this is the way things ACTUALLY work!

To paraphrase Mr. Natural: "Don't try this at home, kids. Leave it to the professionals! :D

Slightly off topic...however...
If you pack your gear in a Pelican box, would it make sense to then pack it inside a "regular" suitcase to help hide the "I am expensive, please steal me" sticker?

Scuba_Jenny:
Slightly off topic...however...
If you pack your gear in a Pelican box, would it make sense to then pack it inside a "regular" suitcase to help hide the "I am expensive, please steal me" sticker?

That's what some people do. I saw Pelicans inside duffle bags, and I think it is a good idea. At least better than carrying the naked Pelican.

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

"dog-sicle" huh? That was a great speech and very informative Captain. On my next long boring flight to Micronesia, could you just do your stand up routine on the PA thing? It would be very informative and educational. Better than what I get chatting it up with the flight attendants telling me about blown up dogs. Basically, I believe everything somebody tells me. Thank-you for taking the time to set the record straight.

catherine96821:
BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

"dog-sicle" huh? That was a great speech and very informative Captain. On my next long boring flight to Micronesia, could you just do your stand up routine on the PA thing?

Catharine,

You are very welcome! I was not ridiculing you at all, just trying to inject a little humour and correct information into an otherwise dry subject.

I won't be giving that speech on your airplane to Micronesia, unless you and I are travelling to Truk to dive on our re-breathers. When I depart Houston, we go great circle route up over Alaska and down to Narita, Japan.

Thank you though, for the kind words.

Rob

Quick tip: go ahead and pack the Pelican case if your baggage allowance will allow.

head to your local shops and buy one of those huge duffles. put Peli in there. or other big bag - doesn't shout "steal me" then. But avoid bags with dive logos/names on them as they are also a magnent...

I've got a Pelican 1510 that came with the pick n pluck foam, but I added the velcro padded insert as well. The 1510 is the same size as the rolling overnight flight attendant type cases that are carryon size that fits in the overhead. The 1510 is fairly new I'm told. It has rollers and a telescoping handle. I'm a big chicken to check my camera gear....whether it's stolen or tossed around by a gorilla baggage handler....just feel safer with it with me.

Diver Lori:
I've got a Pelican 1510 that came with the pick n pluck foam, but I added the velcro padded insert as well. The 1510 is the same size as the rolling overnight flight attendant type cases that are carryon size that fits in the overhead. The 1510 is fairly new I'm told. It has rollers and a telescoping handle. I'm a big chicken to check my camera gear....whether it's stolen or tossed around by a gorilla baggage handler....just feel safer with it with me.

I was just about to ask "what size pelican fits into the overhead". Was the 1510 designed for this purpose? I am curious as to the interior dimensions (guess I will have to go look at the pelican website). Thanks for the info.

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom